Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk eng codes, service engine and Anti-Lock light

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets talk eng codes, service engine and Anti-Lock light

I recently fixed all my warning lamp lights. Someone actually removed the CEL, Service engine and brake light bulbs. Not blown, bu took them out completely.

Now that my warning lights are fixed, my instrumnt cluster looks like a christmas tree. Red service engine light on and theamber check engine light on. No need to panic, insteadI grab a co-workersscanner to check codes. There were many inactive coes, P0300B P0303 P0305B
P0306 P0420 P1313 and P1316. A lot dealing with mis fire and one cat. converter code. The mis fire codes I probably set myself when I was disconnecting spark plug wires for diagnostic purpose.

I clearedthe codes. The CEL goes out but the ServiceEngine light says on. Is there anyway toturn off the Service Enginelight without seeking the dealers help withtheir test equipment?
After clearing the codes and having the engine idling for about 30 minutes, one pending code did get stored. P1316 Mfr Ctrlled System or Misfire. It's been a long time since I've messed with a auto scanner, what does pending code mean?

Now for the Anti-Lock light. True or false, the dealer is the only facility that's able to turn off a Anti-Lock light? Even after the battery disconnected for couple weeks, as soon as I connect the battery and start the engine, my anti-lock light is on. I don't have to drive the truck, it comes rght on (and stays on) after turning on the ignition. All fuses un the hood andunder the steering column have all been checked and in good working condition.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Lets talk eng codes, service engine and Anti-Lock light

You have to have a rover scanner for the ABS codes. Check for an indy shop that has one. Doesn't have to be adealer, but has to be a Rover shop.

D-web has a tech tab for resetting the service light. It is just an emissions reminder. There is a little relay on the passenger side the has an LR sticker on it. There is a hole under the middle of the sticker. If you stick a paper clip through the hole with the key on, it will short out 2 pins, resetting the rminder.

Also, the ABS may come on and go through a check cycle, and shut off after 5mph. if it fails the check, it will stay on.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the lead on finding the info for resetting the Service Engine Light. Fromreading D-webTech section, it seems pretty easy to do. Also that's a good point with the ABS code. I'll look for a indy shop that works on Rovers. If I'm unable to find one locally, then I'll have no choice but the dealer.
As for the pending code, I've donesome research and this is what I come up with.

What are Pending Codes?

OBD II Pending Codes are also referred to as “continuous monitor†and “maturing codesâ€. An intermittent fault will cause the computer to store a pending code in memory. If the fault does not recur within 40 warm-up cycles, the code will be cleared from memory. If the fault recurs a specific number of times, the code will then mature into a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and the MIL or “check engine†light will turn on.

So bascially the computer has detected something but will not turn on the CEL until it occurs over and over.But it also clear the code from pending status if it doesn't see the problem again for a specific amount of ignition cycles.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, I think you got it....

Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: CandiMan

I recently fixed all my warning lamp lights. Someone actually removed the CEL, Service engine and brake light bulbs. Not blown, bu took them out completely.

Now that my warning lights are fixed, my instrumnt cluster looks like a christmas tree. Red service engine light on and the amber check engine light on. No need to panic, instead I grab a co-workers scanner to check codes. There were many inactive coes, P0300B P0303 P0305B
P0306 P0420 P1313 and P1316. A lot dealing with mis fire and one cat. converter code. The mis fire codes I probably set myself when I was disconnecting spark plug wires for diagnostic purpose.

I cleared the codes. The CEL goes out but the Service Engine light says on. Is there anyway to turn off the Service Engine light without seeking the dealers help with their test equipment?
After clearing the codes and having the engine idling for about 30 minutes, one pending code did get stored. P1316 Mfr Ctrlled System or Misfire. It's been a long time since I've messed with a auto scanner, what does pending code mean?

Now for the Anti-Lock light. True or false, the dealer is the only facility that's able to turn off a Anti-Lock light? Even after the battery disconnected for couple weeks, as soon as I connect the battery and start the engine, my anti-lock light is on. I don't have to drive the truck, it comes rght on (and stays on) after turning on the ignition. All fuses un the hood and under the steering column have all been checked and in good working condition.
How many miles on your truck?
The CEL light that is still on is most likely you regular maintaince light that can be reset by pulling the passengers kick panel, find the orange relay with a Rover embly on it and a hole in the middle. Use a wire going thru the hole to short/rest the relay for anothe 80,000 miles.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABS light reset worked on my 96 D1.

http://flrc.erovers.com/2007/10/14/t...-disco-1s.aspx

Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling

My Christmas tree intrument cluster is slowly fading away. Check Engine light is off,Service Engine light is off,now for the Anti-lock light. I will try that link that snorlax posted probably in a couple days.

One last question on the Service Engine light. I know it's an emission reminder light, but is it programed to light up at certain mileages (like 40K, 70K, 110K, 150K, etc) or is it programed to light up X amount of miles after everytime it's reset.

I have 147K on mine, does that mean I will not see the light for another X miles or is it programed to light up at it's next schedule interval?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Candiman, that is a good question and if anybody knows the correct answer please let us know.
I am under the assumption that it is to come on every 90,000 miles or so.
But like I said, if anybody out there knows the correct answer please post it.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: snorlax

ABS light reset worked on my 96 D1.

http://flrc.erovers.com/2007/10/14/t...-disco-1s.aspx
Can you assit me with finding the ABS relay? Accordng to that link, it should be under driver's seat in a group of relays. These are the onl relays I remember being under any seat

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?152322-243

Which rely might it be? As for the blue 4-pin connector, I think Ican find that but jut in case where would tat connector be?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Rock Crawling

It's official, I'm back to square one. I was unable to find the ABS relay or the blue 4-pin connector. I've checked my CD manual and I couldn't find the location of the relay.If you have the RAVE manual,will you be so kind to see if you can find the location of the ABS relay and thisblue 4-pin connector.

I've checked the relays and fuses under the drivers seat and I'm almost sure neither of those are the ABS relay. Does anyone know what those relays and fuses are for? Again, my CD manual doesn't have any reference to those relays/fuses.

I've checked under the drivers dash for the blue 4-pin connector or any other relays, and nothing. I've removed the glove box and the black cardboard panel on the passenger side,and no connector. They are numerous relays on the passenger side but no way for me to determine which is which.

snorlax, if this has worked for youin the past, I can really need your assistance.

Quick Reply: Lets talk eng codes, service engine and Anti-Lock light