Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets team up to do a head gaslet job on our trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:27 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking Lets team up to do a head gaslet job on our trucks!

Drowssap got me thinking about the notion of finding a fellow enthusiast who them self is also fixing to do a head gasket job, team up and do our trucks together at the same time with some help from a senior member and save money in labor charges.

So is there anybody in New England (NH, VT, ME, NY, RI, MA, CT) looking to do their head-gaskets in the near future? Do you need help doing it? If so send me a message and maybe we can figure something out. Ive never done the job myself but Im happy to learn and if we work together, use the provided resources such as the Rave, forum posts and direct instructions from someone like Drowssap then we should be able to pull it off and kill 2 birds with one stone. I myself do not have a garage but I have most all the tools needed. Im willing to travel. Ill help you do yours if you help with mine and we can have fun learning more about our beloved trucks.

Let me know.

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-16-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

good luck- PB blaster the f out of everything and also buy a 12 point 8mm ahead of time.

I am going through it and its a pain already- I bought a milwaukee electric ratchet to help make loosening bolts a breeze consequently i had to buy a kit that had the drill and the impact.
looks like its better to get tm online as they come with extra batteries for the same in store price.
$129
Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Driver/Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)-2494-22B - The Home Depot
$99
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...6-20/203111679

Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

And when you guys are done with that......
Come hang my Christmas lights!!

The following users liked this post:
ZGPhoto (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine!

Lots of luck

Don't do it with kids around, they will pick up lots of bad words.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
And when you guys are done with that......
Come hang my Christmas lights!!
and mine

Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
good luck- PB blaster the f out of everything and also buy a 12 point 8mm ahead of time.

I am going through it and its a pain already- I bought a milwaukee electric ratchet to help make loosening bolts a breeze consequently i had to buy a kit that had the drill and the impact.
looks like its better to get tm online as they come with extra batteries for the same in store price.
$129
Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill Driver/Impact Driver Combo Kit (2-Tool)-2494-22B - The Home Depot
$99
Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/4 in. Ratchet (Tool-Only)-2456-20 - The Home Depot
Milwaukee tools =good gear

I use the same kit but pneumatic, saves smashed up knuckles and very rapid work.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII

So is there anybody in New England looking to do their head-gaskets in the near future?

Let me know.
I'm not in New England, I'm in upstate New York. I've ripped down the Disco 2 engine before, but I haven't put it back. :P I'd be willing to help anyone local turn a wrench, and wouldn't mind driving to help if I could pick up some tips on putting back together the one I've got yanked out. A head gasket job doesn't seem all that bad, just time consuming. And I'm assuming that if you don't have to bring crap to the machinist, (like mine: why are the rockers rusted?!?) it's probably a pretty easy to put back together.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by KinverTurtle
I'm not in New England, I'm in upstate New York. I've ripped down the Disco 2 engine before, but I haven't put it back. :P I'd be willing to help anyone local turn a wrench, and wouldn't mind driving to help if I could pick up some tips on putting back together the one I've got yanked out. A head gasket job doesn't seem all that bad, just time consuming. And I'm assuming that if you don't have to bring crap to the machinist, (like mine: why are the rockers rusted?!?) it's probably a pretty easy to put back together.

By New England I guess I ment NH, ME, VT, NY, CT, MA, RI. Do you have a garage by any chance? One thing to consider is that the heads should be machined by a shop before you do put everything back together. Im still not sure if I will do the HG's or not. If I do it depends on if I get a nice bonus or not. If I did then I may very well order the HG set along with new lifters and camshaft.

This is not something Im ready to do right this very moment but rather before April 2015. Sooner than later of course.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default *face palm*

Originally Posted by TRIARII
By New England I guess I ment NH, ME, VT, NY, CT, MA, RI. Do you have a garage by any chance? One thing to consider is that the heads should be machined by a shop before you do put everything back together.

This is not something Im ready to do right this very moment but rather before April 2015. Sooner than later of course.
Right. I glossed over all of the states and missing NY in there. I don't really have a garage, I have a single bay I work out of, but that works for my stuff most of the time. Nothing fun like two post lifts or anything, just some Rhino Ramps & hand tools. It's also unheated, which is why I try to keep my serious projects waiting until spring/summer/fall.

The motor I ripped apart to do a head gasket job on was in rough shape, so I knew I'd have to bring it to a machinist. I guess they should be done even on a non-overheated motor. I have the address of the shop that rebuilds some of the motors for Atlantic British, so I was just assuming they would have the expertise to measure/machine.

If you're serious, let me know when you get closer to doing it.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:39 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by KinverTurtle
Right. I glossed over all of the states and missing NY in there. I don't really have a garage, I have a single bay I work out of, but that works for my stuff most of the time. Nothing fun like two post lifts or anything, just some Rhino Ramps & hand tools. It's also unheated, which is why I try to keep my serious projects waiting until spring/summer/fall.

The motor I ripped apart to do a head gasket job on was in rough shape, so I knew I'd have to bring it to a machinist. I guess they should be done even on a non-overheated motor. I have the address of the shop that rebuilds some of the motors for Atlantic British, so I was just assuming they would have the expertise to measure/machine.

If you're serious, let me know when you get closer to doing it.
Could you send me a PM with your phone number so we can talk over the phone? Myself I dont care if the garage is heated because up north I always have to work outside on the ground and get all wet. At least in a bay less wind can get in there and there would be level ground to work with. I have one of those padded things you lay on and you can roll around under your truck but it dont work well going over dirt. So I would be content with a garage even if it is in the dead of winter. Just borrow a space heater and get to work.

If I get a good bonus this month then I may do it.

Quick Reply: Lets team up to do a head gaslet job on our trucks!