Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letter from Land Rover / Boshart Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:25 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Letter from Land Rover / Boshart Engineering

Hello,
I received a letter on 9/29/09 from "Land Rover In-Use Program Administration" regarding using my 2004 Discovery II for testing / evaluation of my vehicle's emissions control system. The letter says thay would have my vehicle for 7 days.
Option 1 is: money(a decent amount of $$), use of a current year vehicle, thorough cleaning of my vehicle including a full tank of fuel upon return to me, and they will pick it up and return it to my home.
Option 2 is: money(more than double the $$) cleaning of my vehicle and fuel upon return, pick-up and delivery to my home.
They also state that any adjustments or repairs to my emissions system will be free-of-charge to me.
Did anyone else get this letter?
It is on Land Rover Letterhead, the company, Boshart Engineering, is a real company, and does this type of testing. Just trying to decide if I should do this...

Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

What's their stated liability if they screw it up or damage it?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

MAKE sure it is legit and not a scheme trying to steal your Rover or swap parts out of it. Any of us could probably forge and send you the same document. Just be very careful. Try uploading it so we can see it.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds shady. i would contact land rover to confirm it is legit.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Thumbs down

sounds like a SCAM to me , In my own opinion ...I sorta think Land Rover is pretty much done doing R&D work of any kind on an '04 or anything older than a 2010. I would contact the attorney generals office to see what they have to say.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I agree with XCELLER8, why would Land Rover be doing a study on a vehicle they dont even make anymore? If you had a LR3 or any new Land Rover, I could understand it... but an 04'? Sounds fishy to me. Contact both LR and Boshart to see if its a scam or not.

If its legit, I dont see a problem with it...

Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Devil's Advocate:

I know that from time to time we are required to submit EGA printouts etc. from bikes up to 8 years old. I just had to submit a printout from a 2002 model year bike last week.

its a way to figure out if there are problems or if there may be problems in the future. with new clean air stuff from the gov't always coming down Emissions warranties are getting longer and longer. some bike manufacturers offer a 10 yr emissions warranty in some states...

so, the offer may be legit.

call LR customer service if you have questions.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am signed up with a place called "Cars Earn Cash", they borrow your car for a day and try out body panels on it and they pay upto $750 per day.
It is 100% ligit.
Do it.
If they dont give you a receipt when they take your truck then back out, but they should give you a claim check with the current miles on the OD.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take option 1. That way if they steal your truck, you have a new one

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up RE: Letter from Land Rover / Boshart Engineering

Called Boshart today 9/30/09, totally legit, they will have an insurance policy to cover all the vehicles they will use for testing. Land Rover is doing research to see how the Emissions Systems function after being in use for a period of time.
Thanks for all the input, everything everyone said was what I was thinking, I sent the response back today. Boshart said they will pick the vehicles based on age/mileage/etc.. for the testing, but, could/would not let me know what their age/mileage groups were. Hopefully they pick mine, it would be nice if something needed replacing (cats) and they paid to replace them...

Again, Thanks to all who were skeptical, like me...

Quick Reply: Letter from Land Rover / Boshart Engineering