Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which lift kit should I buy? I'd like to order today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which lift kit should I buy? I'd like to order today!

Hey guys,
I'm torn between two kits.

The OME 3" HD Kit

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=2171

or the Terrafirma 3" HD kit

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=4172

I guess my question is, are the OME kits worth the extra $100? Also, I'm ordering a new driveshaft from Tom Woods, will I need anything else to get the new driveshaft in? New rotoflex coupling maybe?

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speak to lucky8 about the kits and then decide.
How are the bolts and nuts on your front drive shaft? They tend to get beat up when you take them off. A new set of SS bolts and nylock nuts will do. Replace your rotoflex if it has cracks in, keep the old one in the truck as an emergency spare.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Mudding

I have the 2" Terrafirma lift myself, but my brother has the OME in his D2. I like the ride better with the Terrafirma but that is just my opinion. You can't go wrong with either
one. Sure would be nice to save $100 bucks though.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Mudding

I bought the Terrafirma 2in lift, it was cheaper yes but I have read some really good stuff about them too, I felt comfortable after enough research to pull the trigger on it. I had an OME kit on my old D1 and it was awesome too, I just wanted to save some money this time around and give it a shot.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, sounds good. Another noob question though. There are two drive shafts correct? A front and a rear drive shaft. Which one is prone to failure (if not both) and would I need a double cardan to accomodate the lift? I was assuming it was the one that goes from the engine to the rear diff. because it's flanked by the cats and to my understanding it's the heat off of the cats that causes the problem. If anyone can shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Mudding

Well you will always hear of the FRONT driveshaft being the topic of interest due to its lack of greasable u joints its prone to fail due to the cats cooking the grease in the joint. I have read that you may need to shim your crossmember a bit even for a 2in lift because the front driveshaft will/may hit it at full articulation.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Prop Shaft issue is with the front shaft not the rear. They started to use a sealed system that had/has an issue of seizing at the transfer case point. When this happens typically you also loose your transmission. The rear is okay. As for the double for the height. I have a 2" OME lift and all is fine but i have been told and have read here that if you go over the 2" you should go with the double to better accomodate the change in driveline angle. You can do a search here for more information.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're considering the TF 3" kit from L8, definitely give Justin a call...I just bought one from him and will hopefully be installing it before this weekend...

Make sure you ask him to confirm whether they're in stock right now. I think the one sitting on my kitchen table (see attached) was the last one he had at the moment.

L8 is always great to deal with, so you can be confident Justin won't steer you in the wrong direction...

Attached Thumbnails Which lift kit should I buy?  I'd like to order today!-terrafirma_3inch_liftkit.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
If you're considering the TF 3" kit from L8, definitely give Justin a call...I just bought one from him and will hopefully be installing it before this weekend...

Make sure you ask him to confirm whether they're in stock right now. I think the one sitting on my kitchen table (see attached) was the last one he had at the moment.

L8 is always great to deal with, so you can be confident Justin won't steer you in the wrong direction...
TF 3"...

What springs are those? The TF052 and TF027V?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll have to check the invoice and see if it specifies which ones they are...I called and ordered them over the phone, so since they came in a kit, I don't have the specific part #'s handy...

Quick Reply: Which lift kit should I buy? I'd like to order today!