Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

forget the terrain tires. on slicks you can get damn near anyplace hahaha

Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't take it offroad yet i cant wait cuz the only other vehicle i ever took offroad was a 4 wheel drive gmc stock with street tires and i went threw some ****

Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Overlanding

What is a cdl cause the guy thats servicing the vehicle said i have one and i dont know wat it is but he said i have to get under the vehicle to engage it

Old 08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mx52star
I have been driving a gmc denali xl lifted for the past year so ill be fine but ur not the first person that has said that

What does that tell you?

An experienced driver can take a stock Discovery, DI or DII and drive it through an obstacle that an inexperienced driver would have difficulty even having 2inch lift, CDL, and off road tires. (ask me how I know this)

Trust us, get to know your rover 1st and then upgrade as needed. if the money isn't an issue then go all out with what you think looks good. But if you get stuck on your 2nd trail ride with all the mods you wanted, don't second guess why the rover didn't make it.

It was probably you...

But good luck! and let us know what you do and take pics of your mods to share with all of us. We are here to help fellow rovers.

PS. We all want the best for you and your rig. That is why we say what we do.

If you want to turn your rover into this, get a JEEP.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mx52star
What is a cdl cause the guy thats servicing the vehicle said i have one and i dont know wat it is but he said i have to get under the vehicle to engage it

When you crawl under your rig, you will look and feel for this..

Turn it in the direction shown and it will engage the the CDL which stands for center differential lock.

it locks the front and rear drive shafts and turns them at the same speed enhancing your traction.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CDL is the center differential locker - on the 99 D2 it came with the truck but the shifter was not included. You can order the shifter and gate for a 2004 or rig something - some of the guys here know how to do it. Asi I understand it, you will basically double your traction by engaging the CDL without the need for the traction control to kick in.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Engaging the CDL will give you the same kind of traction as engaging four wheel drive on a part time 4x4, e.g. your GMC Denali. With the CDL unlocked it allows you to run on drive pavement without the drivelines binding and causing damage.

As has been stated, the best thing you can do to prepare to off road is get the know the truck inside and out, top to bottom. Then once you know the truck take it off road in stock form and see what it will do. By planning mods without having taken the truck off road you're going to pend money on stuff you don't need to upgrading things that don't need to be. Every style of wheeling and every wheeling location demands different things from the truck and dictates what you need to do to the truck for that wheeling style and location. Rocks, for example, require different setup of suspension and tire then mud. My truck that I have set up for the rocky trails here in Colorado where most of the trails go up the side of a mountain may not preform as well where the mud gets thick and gooey.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

well said AK.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i do the majority of my off roading in the winter up in the cascade mountians. the trails and terrain in summer can be fun, but i am a winter fanatic so i reserve summers for motorcycle riding and weekend drives in the luigi mobile.

so for me after owning my 04 for one winter the things i needed and used were my recovery straps and shovel. i will have to replace my shovel/pick and high lift due to theft but beyond that the only other thing my rover could benefit from come the deep snow is a better set of tires. now i am on 18" wheels but a set of 16" would be a nice pick up with my snowys mounted. a winch would be cool, but i do not travel so far as to think i might need it due to the face that i usually trail in winter alone with my dog.

eventually a new suspension set up will find its way under my truck but its not gonna be a lift kit. i dont need it for what i do so it would be silly to lift a rig and add bigger tires, longer hoses etc etc for a rig that spends 90% of its trail time on snow and ice.

we are here to help you ,,, its not that we are bashin on ya. we just dont want to see anyone turn a perfectly good rover into one of those ultra lifted, blinged out shopping mall cruisers that is polished and clean 365 days of the year rain or shine

Quick Reply: lift questions