Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift springs

Quick questions. My lift setup is sagging in the front so I am going to upgrade the springs. I have a ARB bumper with 8k smittybilt winch. Should I go with the medium or heavy terra firma springs? The medium need 50kg of weight to be effective and the heavy need 100kg of weight. Let me know your thoughts. I figure my bumper is probably around 150lbs and winch in the 65-85 range. All a guess. I off road the truck it is not my daily and yes front driveshaft and suspension components are upgraded along with steel break lines. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

100kg is ~220 lbs, so you're definitely in heavy territory.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
100kg is ~220 lbs, so you're definitely in heavy territory.
I was able to get the math down I just didn't know the specifics on the bumper/winch combo or if anyone has experience with this spring set up. I just don't want to jepordize anything on the trail with this setup being incorrect for the front end weight.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I have to same setup but with a three pound lighter winch. My MD TF Springs sag. Go heavy.

In fact I emailed RTE a few days ago and they have front HD sets. Most places want you to buy a complete set of four. I was going to call anyway and order a set so I'll let you know what to cost is.

I was asking about +3 Springs. I don't know what your lift is.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-23-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I have to same setup but with a three pound lighter winch. My MD TF Springs sag. Go heavy.

In fact I emailed RTE a few days ago and they have front HD sets. Most places want you to buy a complete set of four. I was going to call anyway and order a set so I'll let you know what to cost is.

I was asking about +3 Springs. I don't know what your lift is.
I'm at +2 currently. What was RTE going to charge you for a front set? I've heard great things about those springs. I would keep it at the +2 heavy

Old 03-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jrwalk1651
I'm at +2 currently. What was RTE going to charge you for a front set? I've heard great things about those springs. I would keep it at the +2 heavy
I didn't get to call today. Work intervened. But it is on my list for tomorrow.

I have over three inches of lift now and after originally posting here I checked other threads on RTE springs. They are tall and I do not want to go any higher than my current intended height so I will ask them and report back. I have spring spacers so I can always take them out, because I definitely don't want to traumatize my driveshaft any further, nor ruin my caster any more.

If I can remember I ask about the plus 2s too.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I didn't get to call today. Work intervened. But it is on my list for tomorrow.

I have over three inches of lift now and after originally posting here I checked other threads on RTE springs. They are tall and I do not want to go any higher than my current intended height so I will ask them and report back. I have spring spacers so I can always take them out, because I definitely don't want to traumatize my driveshaft any further, nor ruin my caster any more.

If I can remember I ask about the plus 2s too.
I actually emailed them and they had a used set for of +2 for $175 and a new set for $225.

I may just go terrafirma for almost $100 less...

Old 03-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jrwalk1651
I actually emailed them and they had a used set for of +2 for $175 and a new set for $225.

I may just go terrafirma for almost $100 less...
Wow no kidding. That's 'spensive for springs. Maybe I will too!

I don't think I'd buy used ones. No, I'm sure. I wouldn't buy used ones.

However, I'm going to have two TF MD +3 used front springs for sale soon.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Be sure to clarify you have a D2 with them. Their normal +2" are for D1/RRC/D90 and will really be +3" on a D2

Last edited by WNYErikDiscoII; 03-24-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:17 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Mind if I jump in?
I have a 2002 D2 with stock suspension (original). I plan on doing the Terrafirma 2" lift. But, I am also adding a custom front bumper (no winch) that will likely be close to 100lbs. Anything special I need to do with regard to front springs and suspension for the bumper weight? I don't offroad or do wheeling. Mostly city trips and plan light offroad use.

Quick Reply: Lift springs