Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift/Suspension Tutorial?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift/Suspension Tutorial?!?

Hey folks just took the plunge and ordered my OME HD 2"/Bilstein combo and I am looking for a good detailed tutorial on the install. I have watched the Lucky8 one about 20 times and have tried with out luck to track down a now defunct listing on Discoweb. I just want to make sure that nothing is getting lost in the translation (especially after the disclaimer on the lucky8 video). All i need is rolling jack, bottle jack, spanners, and sockets right? If you folks could point me in the right direction I would be much obliged!!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

You can get all the information from the video, if you have any other questions, send me your number and I'll be glad to call and answer any questions.
Make sure you have a good floor jack, two tall jack stands, a spring compressor if you want and spray all the bolts, to be removed, a day before you start.
By the way, which springs, by part number did you order?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike,
Thanks for the offer! I dont plan on getting the parts till next week and i was already out there last night hitting them with penetrating oil (Wisconsin winters are brutal on nuts and bolts up here!) I ended up getting the 779's & 762's and the Bil HDs. I run a OEM brush, Garvin Wilderness, and the weekend see a Canoe on top, and a dual motorcycle carrier off the back with about 400lbs of bike.

Last edited by RjBu; 05-05-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Did have a quick question, Do i need new/more spring isolators? Are they just for the rear or the front too? And when disconnecting the sway bars do you just do one side at a time or drop the whole thing?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Isolators can be used front or rear and on either the top or bottom of the springs. I have a couple springs that I have used 2 on in order to get a good level truck.
As for the sway bars, I usually do just one at a time while working on that particular corner.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Three Wheeling

So is it just a given that the truck wont be level? I was looking at this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chazzla...7623686505862/) and he makes it sound like it is a given...? Is this done intentionally from OME? Will the settle to level if given the chance? Is it a situation where you wont know that you need it until you are done? That seems like a PIA!?!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All trucks will settle eventually. Not necessarily straight either. I went back with new factory springs, and my right front needed an extra isolator. I will say that the road/axle noise will not be transmitted as much with isolators on the top. I would suggest ordering 4 for the tops of each spring. Then get another as needed.

The tools listed above are pretty much all you need. Spraying the bolts ahead of time is the best tool you can have. I used a spring compressor with an air ratchet and it cut my time in half. Very handy to have.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator

It is not a given. In my case because of dual batteries on one side I had to correct the height.
If you put the correct coil on the correct chances are you'll not have a problem and even if you do have, let's say 1/4" in difference, as the coils break in it usually balances out so don't worry.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Do i need four isolators>>? I thought that the rear already had them in place, no? If they are there do they need to be replaced??? I would rather not ad them as they will add to the ride height and if i understand correctly the OME HD setup is more than 2" and tends to be nearer to 2.5" and with the extra height associated with the extra isolators i would be closer to 3" and dont have the flow to take it to the next level.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Three Wheeling

I used lots of soaking, a torch and an impact wrench to get the nuts off. Be also ready to replace the shock tower retainers or replace some of the studs by carriage bolts in case they break off. I broke 1 on each side.

Quick Reply: Lift/Suspension Tutorial?!?