Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift and Tire Advice while Towing a Boat or Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lift and Tire Advice while Towing a Boat or Trailer

Background...

I have a 2000 Disco II...
ACE Package (Flushed with New Filter)
SLS (with new bags)
Slotted Rotors (Front and Rear)
New Front Calipers
New Brake Pads (Front and Rear)
New Upper and Lower Ball Joints
New Track Rod
New Drag Link
Front Drive Shaft Rebuilt and Serviceable
All Differentials have new Synthetic Fluid
All Door Lock Actuators Replaced
Hard Labor Creek Fabrications Winch Front Bumper
Hella Driving Lights
New GPR 4.0 Engine (Top Hat Sleeves, ARB Head Studs, Teflon Water Jacket Lining, Cam)
18" Wheels from a 2004

I will be installing a 2004 Shifter to be able to engage my CDL in the next couple of weeks (I have all of the parts, just need to find time).

I hope to install a roof rack and ladder at some point in the future, and may decide at some point to install a Hard Labor Creek Rear Bumper and Spare Tire Carrier and a Winch.

My next modification is to invest in a 2" Lift and some larger tires. Which is what led to this post...

I will likely go with an OME 2" Lift and 2" Spacers for the rear SLS - Hard Core Off Roaders will scoff at the idea of keeping the SLS and ACE, but based on how I use the Disco, I am going to keep them.

It is a daily driver in the winter when the weather is bad and it is driven in the summer when I pull our 21' MasterCraft ski boat, or an enclosed 18' all aluminum motorcycle trailer, or when I feel like exploring some back country unimproved roads, or to seek out a camping spot. I also will hit some of the less challenging trails at a couple of local off road parks.

Since I use the Disco to pull trailers, I don't want to go with too tall of a sidewall that might induce a bunch of squirminess when towing, but I would like to fill the wheel wells a bit more and have a more aggressive tire for those occasions when I am off road, or during some of the nasty snow we get in the winter. For those reasons, I think I want to stick with an 18" wheel.

The towing is where the ACE and the SLS really make a huge difference in how level it sits and how it pulls, which is why I don't want to get rid of them.

I'm currently thinking that I might opt for the following size tires:

265/65/18
275/65/18
or
265/70/18
275/70/18

I definitely do not want to cut sheet metal, as this is a daily driver, not a dedicated trail vehicle.

I'm interested in any experience anyone has with a 2" lift and this size tires. Especially if you ever tow anything with your Disco.

If you have pictures, post them up...

Last edited by TripleThreat; 01-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I have trailered with 32" tires and a 2" lift.. No problems at all and it was heavy work trailers. 32 an 2 look great in there plus keeping the bags is a big bonus for the towing. I towed with and without... Much more squat after
I still have the tires in the garage I will look in the morning to see what size exactly

Last edited by dusty1; 01-16-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm sorry to be so dumb but on the 2 inch spacers are you referring to wheel or coil?

I have a 3 inch terrafirma lift, which I am told is the same amount of lift as a 2" OME. I also have 2 inch wheel spacers (Bora) and what amounts to 33x10.5x16 Toyo M/T tires (I believe they are 285/65/16 but I am more sure of the inch measurements) and they rub the plastic well liner when I turn and hit a bump. My measurements showed that 1 inch less tire diameter or less wheel well would be perfect and produce no rubbing. That's pretty close to your setup.

Unfortunately I have a bare bones suspension and my Disco squats like a duck when I hook up a heavy (5000 pound) trailer, but does fine with a 1500 pound utility trailer loaded with about a ton.

By the way, NICE specs on your rover.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been towing for decades on 7.50R16 without any problems. They are about 32"OD.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I'm sorry to be so dumb but on the 2 inch spacers are you referring to wheel or coil?
Charlie_V, my Rover is equipped with SLS (Self Leveling Suspension) in the rear, rather than coils. As a result of wanting to keep the SLS for the purposes of towing, they make 2" Spacers that go under the SLS Air Bags which create the lift. You can actually just change the height of the rear by pumping more air into the bags by adjusting the electronic height adjustment switches, but that ultimately makes the ride more harsh and also reduces the available travel in the bag, so the spacers tend to minimize those compromises.

Thanks for the compliments on the Disco... I've spent way too much money on it, but I've done all the work myself, including a repaint from the rear quarter panels forward after a brain fart involving a steel post in a parking lot a couple of years ago.

Hopefully that clarifies the issue with the spacers for you...

Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I've only towed once, see attached. Honestly, I couldn't imagine pulling that trailer w/ the 265/75's I have now. At the time of the pull I was running T.F. MD coils and 255 stockers. It struggled uphill (engine was tuned-up and running like a top).

Name:  2012-08-30_17-32-27_754_zpsc848bf1b.jpg
Views: 3815
Size:  104.1 KB

Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

^^ good point. towing in hills and elevation, I'd be a wanting some gears.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Here's w/ TF MD kit and 265/75 BFG T/A KO's.
Name:  2012-09-29_11-45-49_606.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  176.9 KB

Here's the TF MD kit w/ stock 255's Geolanders (shot right after lift install, so no suspension settling has occurred yet). It looks silly
Name:  2012-09-25_15-03-38_446.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  109.1 KB

Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a DII (SLS and ACE) with a 2" TF med lift w/ SLS spacers.

Here is a thread with photos: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...t-tires-61751/

I have 255/70R18 tires. They are 32.1" in diameter same as 275/65R18. The only difference is about 1" in width.

I haven't towed anything yet.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
Charlie_V, my Rover is equipped with SLS (Self Leveling Suspension) in the rear, rather than coils. As a result of wanting to keep the SLS for the purposes of towing, they make 2" Spacers that go under the SLS Air Bags which create the lift. You can actually just change the height of the rear by pumping more air into the bags by adjusting the electronic height adjustment switches, but that ultimately makes the ride more harsh and also reduces the available travel in the bag, so the spacers tend to minimize those compromises.

Thanks for the compliments on the Disco... I've spent way too much money on it, but I've done all the work myself, including a repaint from the rear quarter panels forward after a brain fart involving a steel post in a parking lot a couple of years ago.

Hopefully that clarifies the issue with the spacers for you...
It does. Sorry for my confusion. I live far from the closest dealer and everyone thinks my Disco II, which I've had since 2000, is an exotic car, so I don't see many others. SLS sounds like a nice feature for towing.

Quick Reply: Lift and Tire Advice while Towing a Boat or Trailer