Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift/tires with 18 inch wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011 | 11:54 AM
|
Overlanding
Default Lift/tires with 18 inch wheels question

2003 HSE. I love my hse 18's and want to fit a mud tire. I understand the choices are a bit limited.

What size mud tire will fit without a lift and with a 2 inch lift?
I'll be using the stock bumper.

Anyone know much about the D.A.P. 2 inch lift quality?

Last edited by svntsvn; 01-20-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2011 | 04:19 PM
Three Wheeling

There is some debate on this even though you, like I, want to retain our 18" wheels. I have found the best combination for both on road and off would be a 2" lift and a 285/60/18 A/T or M/T tire. Depending on tire selection, this should give roughly a 31-32" tire which is just about the optimum set up for the Disco which would not require body trimming. Mind you, it's not extreme, but a nice all around set up that works on the road as well as the trail. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will have their own favorite combo.

Last edited by JEFIII; 01-20-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Poor english
Old 01-20-2011 | 04:38 PM
Overlanding

You can do 265/75-18 as well...

As far as the DAP. Don't make the same mistake I did. About a 686$ mistake. I ordered that kit, neat all as well. Installed it then went out for some fun. Broke the front shock. Pissed off, I called up Justin and Lucky8 and told him what happened. Low and behold the same thing happened to him!

Discussed OME or Terrafirma and decided to go with the Terrafirma shocks/springs and the OME steering stabilizer. The terrafirma shocks even physically look better than the procomp. Justin has the kits on sale for 548 shipped. Add your lines, 650. There, youre at the price of the kit from DAP minus sway extensions. And you won't break a shock lol.

Do it right, either OME or Terrafirma. Rovertym is always an option but a pricey one. Get extended SS lines too, it's only 100 bucks. You'll need to reroute the rear ABS lines too, at least I did. I put sway bar extensions in too.

Old 01-21-2011 | 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling

if i kept my 18's when i lift it. i was going to go with either a 275-65-18 or a 265-65-18, BFG AT K/O tire, it comes out to approximately 32" tire

Old 01-22-2011 | 04:02 AM
Overlanding
Old 01-22-2011 | 02:14 PM
|
Overlanding

thanks everyone for the replies, very helpful.

Old 01-22-2011 | 02:31 PM
Administrator

What sort of tire are you planning on, remember your 03 does not have a CDL so you may be limited to some extent.
What brand of tire are you looking at?
Stay completely away from the lift from DAP, talk with Justin and go with either the OME or the Terrafirma. My choice would be the the OME and depending on what you will be doing with it, you have a choice of 4 different springs depending on your needs.

Old 02-10-2011 | 09:09 PM
4wd Low

I've spent I don't know how many hours reading tire and wheel threads on several forums to try to find one like this. I never quite saw the answers I wanted but I figured if I started a new thread, someone would have inevitably given me the "search is your friend" jab and I wanted to try to avoid that.

So, I have a follow-up question to svntsvn's. I've just picked up a 2004 Disco for only $5K... and it needs tires. I'm not new to Rovers, but am to Discoverys, though I've lurked on forums a lot. It's got the 18" wheels on it which I think look nice but I do understand they have poor performance off road. That being said, the time I spend off road is nominal and this will be my daily driver so it'll see more pavement than not. It has the Rover brush guard which is fine for me for now, but I'll switch out with a different one and a winch down the line a while.

DiscoMike, I've seen and respected many of your posts on several forums and want to see what you'd think about a Rovertym 2" kit with HD springs and OME shocks... any experience with the ride quality? IF I keep my 18s, what size tire should I run without rubbing or trimming (and yes, I am considering switching to 16s, but I don't think I do enough off-roading to matter as much, nor is tire price a huge factor for me)? Overall, I'm looking for a good balance between a comfortable ride, off-road performance for the few weekend trips I'll take, and a quiet, yet aggresive-ish look. Any others running a similar combo with advice?

Old 02-10-2011 | 09:47 PM
Mudding

I just couldnt wait and had my 265 65 18 guard dog M/T installed today BEFORE my lift, I just couldnt wait to get em mounted, anyway.. they are 32.8in tires interference is awfully close the the bottom corner of the front bumper, they fit on the truck with no lift, but I wouldnt go off road with it really until I stick that lift on..soon..

Old 02-10-2011 | 09:50 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by JerrodSteph
I just couldnt wait and had my 265 65 18 guard dog M/T installed today BEFORE my lift, I just couldnt wait to get em mounted, anyway.. they are 32.8in tires interference is awfully close the the bottom corner of the front bumper, they fit on the truck with no lift, but I wouldnt go off road with it really until I stick that lift on..soon..
I'd love to see a pic! Any rubbing durning normal pavement driving?

Quick Reply: Lift/tires with 18 inch wheels question