Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter noise issue.not going away

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise issue.not going away

I have a 2002 Land rover with a 4 litre V-8. I bought around six months ago. It has approx. 80k miles

It runs good, but has had some valve or lifter type noise. At this point it seems that the lifters are ok, because rig runs so well? It just has the noise issue that's driving me nuts. But i am not a mechanic, so that is just a guess.

Sounds the worst at start up. Sound lessens after its warm, but usually sound is always there. It just lessens.

I took advice from members awhile back and did a few different things to try to fix problem.

I have cycled Marvel mystery oil 2 or 3 times.... i don't remember exactly. I used 1 quart each time, and I ran it for 500-1000 miles each time with 15w-40 oil and good WIX filter.

I replaced filter and oil after each cycle. The oil seemed very dirty every time, esp for the amount of time and miles it was used. It was very black.
So i'm thinking whoever had the car didn't change oil very often.

Today i did an oil change. I put in 10w 40 and a quart of Lucas oil. The Lucas oil is very thick, so thick it seemed strange. I Haven't driven much since so not sure if it will help at all.

My next idea was to try "Gunk Valve Medic" sounds good from what i have read, but i am wondering if it is the same as Marvel Mystery oil?

Thanks for help, any ideas are appreciated.

Aaron

Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that you did the MMO stop adding crap to your oil (especially Lucas) and just keep using a HDEO like Rotella 15w40 or 5w40, it may take over a year to clean out. Otherwise if the oil pressure is fine ignore the noise. You may just have a worn valve train or lifters and are going to need to rebuild the top end.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Default lifters

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Now that you did the MMO stop adding crap to your oil (especially Lucas) and just keep using a HDEO like Rotella 15w40 or 5w40, it may take over a year to clean out. Otherwise if the oil pressure is fine ignore the noise. You may just have a worn valve train or lifters and are going to need to rebuild the top end.

Ok, I will do that.

As far as the 15w40 and the 5W40. is one going to quiet lifters more than other at start up?

And if it is a worn valve train, or needs lifters rebuilt. Should i just not worry and run it?

Thanks Bud

Old 10-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Mudding

I use 15w40 in mine it will lessen the noise significantly at first, but the noise will come back, it is not a cause for concern. Apparently thats the way Land Rovers sound. Unless we aren't talking about the same noise.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:15 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by aarons02
Ok, I will do that.

As far as the 15w40 and the 5W40. is one going to quiet lifters more than other at start up?

And if it is a worn valve train, or needs lifters rebuilt. Should i just not worry and run it?

Thanks Bud
As far as valve train noise goes in general you want a thicker oil that is as thin as possible cold, so something like a 5w40 or even a 0w40 in the winter. I would ignore it for a while unless it gets worse. My truck had lots of startup clatter that went away when the engine warmed up, eventually after using mobil 1 5w40 TDT, Rotella 5w40 and Mobil 1 0w40 (good cleaning oils) the noises are gone. We will see how it goes in the winter.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Better yet, oil is not the issue and for the most part will not fix it. What brand of oil filter have you been using?
The noise you describe will only be fixed, assuming your oil pressure is good and the engine is not gummed up, will be to pull it down inspecting the rocker shaft, arms, push rods lifter surface as well as the cam lobe surface. Some combination of those parts is causing your noise.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Drifting
Default lifter

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Better yet, oil is not the issue and for the most part will not fix it. What brand of oil filter have you been using?
The noise you describe will only be fixed, assuming your oil pressure is good and the engine is not gummed up, will be to pull it down inspecting the rocker shaft, arms, push rods lifter surface as well as the cam lobe surface. Some combination of those parts is causing your noise.
Hi Mike.I have been using a WIX brand filter. I think the engine was gummed up quite a bit from previous owner.Oil looked awful after cycling MMO each time.I am not sure about oil pressure, it has the stock gauge only and it hasn't lit up.Except right after an oil change for a second.

What you are saying is a concern i'm having. As i have heard that bad lifters can ruin the cam lobes etc?at this point i am going to hope sound improves over next 6 months,maybe its gummed up still? If it doesn't get better,and i ignore it, will i get a more expensive problem if i continue to drive it without pulling it apart?

Thanks, Aaron
2002 discovery II 4.0 litre

Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 AM
TReK

What you are saying is a concern i'm having. As i have heard that bad lifters can ruin the cam lobes etc?at this point i am going to hope sound improves over next 6 months,maybe its gummed up still? If it doesn't get better,and i ignore it, will i get a more expensive problem if i continue to drive it without pulling it apart?
If your lifters are worn your cam is already worn and if and when you replace your lifters you need to replace the cam so don't worry about that. The only worry you should have is that your noise is caused by low oil pressure, probably not but never hurts to check.

Don't worry your head gaskets will go in 20k miles or so and you will get to give everything a once over then

Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Drifting
Default lifters

Originally Posted by lipadj46
If your lifters are worn your cam is already worn and if and when you replace your lifters you need to replace the cam so don't worry about that. The only worry you should have is that your noise is caused by low oil pressure, probably not but never hurts to check.

Don't worry your head gaskets will go in 20k miles or so and you will get to give everything a once over then
Ok, thanks lipad. I think i bought the wrong type of vehicle for a daily driver...lol.

Really neat rigs, I have always wanted one. but they do seem to have issues other V-8s don't get till 300,000. (i am discovering) Now i need to decide if i should wait for inevitable, or trade it to a big dealership.

As far as someone working on a rover engine. Can a guy who works on Chevy 350s etc do the work, or is it a whole diff skill?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
TReK

Ok, thanks lipad. I think i bought the wrong type of vehicle for a daily driver...lol.

Really neat rigs, I have always wanted one. but they do seem to have issues other V-8s don't get till 300,000. (i am discovering) Now i need to decide if i should wait for inevitable, or trade it to a big dealership.

As far as someone working on a rover engine. Can a guy who works on Chevy 350s etc do the work, or is it a whole diff skill?
It is in essence a Buick engine from the 60's. If you take heads to an old timer they will ask if you have a buick. The engine is actually quite easy to work on.

Quick Reply: Lifter noise issue.not going away