Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting my disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Lifting my disco

ORIGINAL: Seanski

I think theyre 18" with 28" tires. On www.rovertym.com theyve got 2"-5" lift springs, if i just replaced my current springs with those will that give me the desired lift? For me, the bigger the lift the better, tires arent a problem im getting any pair i choose for free, so the bigger the better.
You are about to set yourself up for a ton of problems. First of all you don't have a clue about your Disco, what 4 wheeling is all about and what you need to do it right.
How many hours on the trail do you have so far? If it is not a couple of summers worth, it would be well worth your while to go out with others, see how their truck perform compared to your and slowly start make some well researched decisions.
The3 bigger the tire, the bigger the lift, that is all crap and doesn't mean a thing off the road, once you learn that then start building your truck.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To tell you the truth I think, based on what you said, you dont need a lift. As you work your way up get a lift, but for right now I would just look into possibly a nice ARB bumper to give you more front clearance. Second you really need to figure out what size wheels you have, 15" and 18" are very different and I'm pretty sure LR doesnt offer a stock 15". If you have 18" wheels you would need to change to 16" if you are going to get really technical about it. But personally I have 18" with General Grabber and they are just as good (for what I do).

Also, unless you are going to be doing some really serious stuff, and I mean SERIOUS, where you need an extra lift (to get bigger tires or ect), so be it. BUT I will never lift my disco because I have come to realize that I love to show up Jeeps with all these mods in my stock UNLIFTED disco. The only thing I have changed is I added A/t tires. Thats it. Think long and hard about it. Is it realllllly worth it??

Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anybody have coil spacers on their disco? I've seen them online for $100 for 1" and $150 for 2" of lift.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to Camdisco24's advice...

IF you do decide to get an ARB bumper, you will probably want to install an Old Man Emu suspension kit (shocks and springs), which will end up giving you about a 2" lift. I recently installed the ARB Bull Bar Bumper and was told that I would need new suspension because of the increased weight...I wasn't sure about this, but went ahead and ordered the OME kit. Had the bumper installed at an LR shop and decided to install the OME kit myself...which meant that I had the bumper on for about 2 weeks before changing out the suspension. I learned that what I had been told was absolutely correct: my Disco looked ridiculous before I installed the new suspension--tilted forward at an angle because of the heavy bumper. Now that I have the OME suspension installed, I love the height, ride, and the bumper...for what that's worth...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

Does anybody have coil spacers on their disco? I've seen them online for $100 for 1" and $150 for 2" of lift.
Again, it doesn't do you any good to install spacers on top of your old warn out suspension. Your truck will just be more top heavy and real tippsey off road.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wondered why I rarely hear/see a body lifted LR. Makes sense though...why put on the body lift and have no control, so you body lift + new springs....but then you might as well just do it right and do a simple spring lift. Makes sense!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
TReK

I've seen several comments on here referring to disco coil springs wearing out. With most vehicles coil springs hold up for a long time, but I guess the heavy weight of a disco could contribute to premature sag. What I do not understand is how does people tow with their disco if the springs are this bad? Do you need the SLS option to tow heavy loads?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

I've seen several comments on here referring to disco coil springs wearing out. With most vehicles coil springs hold up for a long time, but I guess the heavy weight of a disco could contribute to premature sag. What I do not understand is how does people tow with their disco if the springs are this bad? Do you need the SLS option to tow heavy loads?
I have had to replace springs on more than one car.
Most people don't know when springs are bad they think its the shocks.
The springs on Land Rovers have to ride well and then go off road its hard to find a spring that does both so OEM springs give more that after market.
Yes LR's are heavy and no you dont need SLS option to tow.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
TReK

Do any discos come with a manual front/rear SLS system like the range rovers? That would work perfect for my needs...31's offroad and stock tires for towing.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Nope!!

Quick Reply: Lifting my disco