Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighted M and S "Manual and Sport" indicators plus Blinking D

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Lighted M and S "Manual and Sport" indicators plus Blinking D

I'm new to the Discovery II having mine for only about 2 months. I got the lit up M and S "Manual and Sport" indicator lights plus the D blinks. Plus it started but the battery was weak.

With the engine running the battery is showing 14.3 so I think the alternator is fine. I have not been driving it since I am still waiting on the new title so I can get plates for it. It had been sitting for about 2 weeks.

If I'm correct, it sounds like the weak battery is causing the M and S on the instrument panel. When I got the D2 I did purchase the more powerful and expensive battery at Autozone.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 10-07-2019, 06:53 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Central Locking Problems forcing S & M light & crawl mode
I have a 2002 discovery 2 TD5. Can anybody advise me on the following strange scenario:

The car works beautifully, it only has 139,000 km, has hardly been off the road however, when we parked the car, and get out of the car without locking it, it will either not start.

This is not a big problem, it's simply inconvenient because I discovered a way to "life hack" the problem by following the procedure described below:

(1) Lock the doors
(2) Unlock the doors
(3) Open the drivers door (pretend to be getting back in the car )
(4) close the door
(5) Start the Disco

Then there are never any other problems.

Interestingly, if you skip this step (3) Open the drivers door (pretend to be getting back in the car), and simply lock then unlock the doors then the car will start, but only in safety / crawl mode where the "S" and "M" lights are flashing, and the vehicle can be driven in crawl mode.

Has anyone seen this? If so, do you have any suggest for a better work around.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery

I have had the same issue with the blinking lights and I was a loose battery cable. Once I tightened it, it was good to go. Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I can confirm from my situation to thoroughly check your battery cables.
My negative cable was tight but further inspection found it was corroded and broken wire strands.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 821 Likes on 538 Posts

I've found that issue to be battery and negative cable related as well. Definitely the first place to look.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks everyone....hopefully I've solved the issue.

After the postings yesterday I had remembered I had put in new front sunroof glass and sunroof motor. I have not driven the vehicle since last week.

While taking the trim/map holder that contains the sunroof switches and map light I noticed the light flickered. There maybe some type of short or that fixture maybe drawing power. I took the clear cover off the covers the bulb and unscrewed the fixture and unplugged the light and unplugged what I guess is some kind of ground.

Got the battery charged up, installed the battery and the engine started right up and no blinking lights. As of now I will just do without the map light.

Thanks again to everyone with the direction it was the battery.

Ken