Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights on dash. 03 Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lights on dash. 03 Disco 2

The other day I was driving like normal and as I was slowing down for an exit off the highway, I hear 3 beeps and all of the lights turned on the dash. I turned the truck off and they all went off. On my way home, the check engine light turned on. I ran the code when I got home and it said something about "4th gear being off". I cleared the code and that has not come back on.
The problem with all of the lights turning back on happens at least once every time I drive it. Again, I turn the truck off and they go off.
This is a truck that I just purchased which has lived it's whole life in North Carolina and it's now in Minnesota where the temps have started to cool down a bit. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

look to see if there is any corrosion or looseness at the battery posts. See that all of your cables and wiring is secure at ancillary terminals. Next would be to test the battery. please get back with your findings. This logic is based on having only fault code related to the transmission so if there are any different ones that come up, would be helpful for us to know. You should have had a green "M/S" lamp at the bottom of gauge cluster. You didn't specify if you are new to the Disco-2 so always suggest reading the High-Mile service sticky by DiscoMike that applies to any newly purchased truck and also research the oil pressure and coolant temp thresholds calibrated by the factory gauges which is very crude. Invest in aftermarket gauges and switches.

Last edited by chubbs878; 10-12-2016 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LuisGT3 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Thanks Chubbs. I am new to this one (Just got it about a month ago) But I had another 03 for about 4 years, starting back in 2004.
I just checked and everything is tight and clean in the battery area. It has 95k miles and is an extremely clean one owner truck that I purchased from a forum member who kept all records from new etc.

Last edited by LuisGT3; 10-12-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Which instrument panel lights come on? All of them or just some of them?

LuisGT3 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

One other suggestion... check the ground strap at the back of the engine, driver side, just behind the driver side head. If it is loose, your engine can ground through the transmission and even the parking brake cable. At least, I've read that. I've run my engine without a ground strap, accidentally, and nothing bad happened. But I didn't drive it like that (still in the driveway).

LuisGT3 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:16 AM
Drifting

So as I slow down, the 3 lights come on (ABS, Traction Control, and Hill Decent). Then the Service engine soon light comes on. If I turn the truck off, the 3 lights turn off but the Service engine soon light stays on, once I got home, I ran the code and it reads: "P0734 Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio". I clear the code but it will likely come back

Last edited by LuisGT3; 10-14-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench

oh no, your anti-lock brakes are on the fritz. you possibly have a bad hub or shuttle valve fault with the modulator. your scanner may not read brake codes; if it doesn't then you will have to have the ABS codes pulled with a different device with those capabilities.

Last edited by chubbs878; 10-14-2016 at 12:14 PM.
LuisGT3 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Those 3 abs lights come on all the time.....it's a D2. I wouldn't panic about that. The check-engine with the 4th gear thing is a separate issue. Definitely look into that one.

I would suggest you buy an ABS Amigo. either a used one or a new one but they are a "must" for D2 owners. It will clear those lights and also read the codes accosiated with them. A normal code reader will NOT read or clear your Land Rover ABS codes. If you find a place that'll do it, it'll cost you a lot and they eventually come back on for some other reason so get an ABS amigo for sure.

Your ABS will still work fine but you will loose traction control and hill decent. both are not needed unless you are out doing your camel trophy thing.

Most likely the ABS lights are coming on because of a wheel sensor gone bad. They work well but are very very finicky.

LuisGT3 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Drifting

The service engine light does not come on until the other 3 do. Once I turn the car off for like 10 seconds, the lights are turned off. (Except the service engine light). They will turn on every time I drive it though. Will the Amigo stop them from turning on and have the ABS system, TC and Hill Decent work as it should?

Last edited by LuisGT3; 10-14-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
The service engine light does not come on until the other 3 do. Once I turn the car off for like 10 seconds, the lights are turned off. (Except the service engine light). They will turn on every time I drive it though. Will the Amigo stop them from turning on and have the ABS system, TC and Hill Decent work as it should?

A device that "clears codes" or removes the fault from the computer only does that; it does not actually fix the problem. After the fault codes have been removed, the ECU will immediately detect the fault, store the code and trip the lamps, once again rendering the system compromised. You have to pull the ABS fault codes, find out what part is going out, replace it and then clear the fault codes. If you don't fix or replace anything and clear the code, it will just come right back.

LuisGT3 (10-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Lights on dash. 03 Disco 2