Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of Tools

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of Tools

I did a search but did not find the answer I was looking for.

Would someone please make a list of the tools needed to do most of the work on a Disco.

Will most of the wrenches and sockets be metric?

Trying to get my list together so I can get the majority of the tools in one trip.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The nice thing about Rover...they use BOTH metric and SAE!!!
So, just a good 3/8" drive socket set with both sizes, standard sizes, nothing out of the ordinary.
You will need a 1/4" drive 12 point 8mm deep well socket for tightening the valve cover bolts.
The lug nuts take a 1'1/6" 6 point 1/2" drive socket.
The drain/fill plugs on the differentials and transfer case take a 1/2" drive socket, some find a 3" extension easier to remove the fill plug on the t-case.
The fill plugs on a DII's differentials are cheap plastic and really shout be replaced.
The fill plugs from a DI fit perfect.
Otherwise you can take your drain plug to The Home Depot and buy plumbing plugs of the same size and thread pitch and they do the exact same thing and fit just right.
To buy the actual LR brass plugs is like $5,000 dollars, to buy them from a plumbing store $5.
Good jack stands and floor jack, I use the trucks bottle jack.
Ramps, I also use ramps, I dont jack it up unless I need to remove a wheel.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an assortment of hammers

Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
4wd Low

also i found torx bits with anti tamper centers...

Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The fill plugs on a DII's differentials are cheap plastic and really shout be replaced.
The fill plugs from a DI fit perfect.
Otherwise you can take your drain plug to The Home Depot and buy plumbing plugs of the same size and thread pitch and they do the exact same thing and fit just right.
To buy the actual LR brass plugs is like $5,000 dollars, to buy them from a plumbing store $5.
Land Rover diff drain and radiator plugs are BSPF thread, not NPT, which is what home depot sells. NPT is close, but not the same.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Having owned several Japanese cars I find that the Land Rover does seem to use several metric sizes I never needed in the past very much. For instance, you can fix just about anything on a Toyota with a 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19mm sockets or wrenches. But with my Disco I now use the 13, 15, and 18 quite often. I found a decent socket set that has both metric and SAE in both short and deep well sockets and 1/4 and 3/8 drives. I supplement that with a 1/2 drive ratchet socket wrench and some extensions and a few larger sockets like the 22 and 24mm and also a 1/2 inch torque wrench.

I found some small zippered canvas bags at Lowes in the tool dept. and keep the assorted tools in those. The bags are different colors which is nice for keeping track of things; one for an asssortment of screw drivers, one for the box and open end wrenches and one for the extra socket stuff like step down adapters and torx bits, etc.

I keep all these tools in one of the bins in the back of the Disco, they don't do you much good if your break down on the road and the tools are back home.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plenty of beer

Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by salve7
Plenty of beer
x2

None of that yellow crap either, get yourself a good Sam Adams Octoberfest or a Yuengling

Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A rubber mallett, some safety glasses would be good to have on hand as well. Just about any general kit will work. I do like to have double of everything since it makes it nice not have to switch if you need a deep and a regular socket during the same job.

Get some air tools too if you can afford it, when doing major work it can really help the job go faster.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Get some air tools too if you can afford it, when doing major work it can really help the job go faster.
are the air tools from Harbor Freight any good?

Quick Reply: List of Tools