Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help - blower/electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default little help - blower/electrical problem

blowers out. so are wipers btw. (blower: no power on any setting..and it went on and off for awhile and maybe was helped by a kick to the fusebox. control light on., slightly cool air. I don't use heat.)

i havent been able to voltage test it but my symptoms are consistent with several known problems. i promise to learn how to do this as soon as i have time.

so as the true hack i am, i did the connector removal splice on the passenger side. nothing. then i did the fusebox jump under the drivers seat. nada. according to the board that leaves the blower, engine block fusebox, relays and resistor.

so i want to directly power the blower to determine if that works.

So here's my question. Do I just attach the wire where I made the splice to a long thick cable and attach that directly to the red battery connection? Or will that blow me and the truck up immediately?

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 03-13-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarify title
Old 03-15-2016, 06:15 AM
Pro Wrench

yeah. i didn't think you knew either.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

If you disconnect the blower motor and then jump it directly from the battery, there should be minimal chance that you're going to blow up your truck. It's a 12v motor, after all.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Default I connected the blower to the battery

I'm confused.

I connected the blower to the battery and it made a lot of noise and little air.

But I don't think the voltage is good (even after I hope a decent fusebox bypass and blower wire fastener removal and splice.)

I get 20v at blower when AC is off. Is that even possible?
I get 0v at blower when AC is on.

Anybody?

Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

try checking voltage at the battery. If you still get 20v there, the multimeter you're using is incorrect.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:54 AM
Pro Wrench

battery was good at 12 plus. we checked that 20 a few times. It wasn't consistent tho..it fluctuated but 20 was about the most consistent.

despite it's first use (and mine of one) it seemed to work well and checked out on a friends disco2.

seems to me there should be voltage when the AC is on. And it should be closer to 12v.

could i have done something to the electrical system with the two bypasses to get 20v. Or is that ridic?

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 03-18-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

This may sound like a stupid question, but you did have the meter set to DC volts correct?

Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Pro Wrench

I believe so, yes. Could happen but I had a little help.

The problem now exists between the passenger side splice and the driver fusebox. my new inline fuse is getting 14 volts. The blower powers on with a direct to the battery connection. I'm going to check all the rest this morning.

I also bought the pontiac fan because I want more. Thanks for checking in.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have my Disco anymore to do voltage tests for you, but I do remember getting strange voltage readings from the connection at the blower motor even though my blower worked fine. Seems like it ranged something like you mention, between 0 and 20 volts. I believe it's the Voltage Stepper that changes the fan speed that is causing that.

I wonder if your Blower Motor is bad since you are actually getting voltage readings at the connector. When you connected to the battery, I believe it should have run. Again, I don't have it to test, but I believe it was a straight connection to motor at the Blue and Red Wires. Could be armature, brushes, or even bearings. Does it turn easily when you spin it?

As far as jumping at the Fuse Block and the other mods, I never did those, so I'm not much help there. It does seem though that the fuse connection is bad as the Blower and Wipers are on the same connection. Check fuses F18 and F19, If I've got my diagram correct...

I'm thinking you might luck out and it'll work fine once you plug in your Pontiac motor.

The following users liked this post:
slanginsanjuan (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench

Thaaaanks.

I'm going with it.

Pontiac motor in and now I need to wire up. About 12v at the power connector.

So which wires connect? the white with the non black? my color perceptions sucks.

Attached Thumbnails little help - blower/electrical problem-20160319_153750.jpeg  

Quick Reply: little help - blower/electrical problem