Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help - blower/electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

I just put my meter on the actual wires coming out of the blower. With the engine off and the fan off I got 0. With the engine off and the fan on low I got 3.97. With the engine off and the fan on high I got 9.67. Volts, obviously. My battery was at 11.8 volts.

If you need me to stick the probes elsewhere I can do it. I get zero bolts from the fusable link but I'm not sure what that does and I had the engiNE (and compressor) off.

Volts, bolts. I don't know the difference.

The transistor obviously regulates the voltage somehow. But I don't know whether it regulates it to zero or if there is a switch/relay somewhere for that purpose.

Haha no you wouldn't want it hard wired in. That fan will blow your socks off.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-20-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Haha no you wouldn't want it hard wired in. That fan will blow your socks off.
I just hard wired to the battery and it really didn't feel so powerful.

I'm getting close to calling in a pro but that workshop sign that says - if a client tries to fix it first the price is double - keeps flashing thru my mind.

thanks man.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I just hard wired to the battery and it really didn't feel so powerful.

I'm getting close to calling in a pro but that workshop sign that says - if a client tries to fix it first the price is double - keeps flashing thru my mind.

thanks man.
I'm sorry to hear that. Mine is pretty powerful; maybe that the issue. If I plugged mine into the battery and was holding it, it would be hard to hold on to.

The bypass is something I am unfamiliar with. Is there any way to put it back and hook up to the original wires?

I understand your frustration. Weekend is almost over and that's when projects need to be buttoned up. Condolences. Happens to me all the time--you are in good company.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Pro Wrench

I'm not ready to put the wiring back. I'm going to check as many connections as I can. .from the battery through. The thing that kills me is the idea that you can get enough volts but still not have the power (amps?). I'm so over my head here and I can hear the mechanic laughing already.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I'm not ready to put the wiring back. I'm going to check as many connections as I can. .from the battery through. The thing that kills me is the idea that you can get enough volts but still not have the power (amps?). I'm so over my head here and I can hear the mechanic laughing already.
I think that is where the transistor comes in. It can increase the amperage/current by decreasing resistance... IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, and I think I do. But I haven't googled it and now I am feeling a little sheepish about this... ah what the hell I will leave it.

Okay, through the miracle of time travel I have now googled it and the transistor is the part that regulates and multiplies the amperage. I found this thread where they keep calling is a resistor. Post 2 has a cutout from the RAVE.

Then I looked at the price for a new one. DAMN. WOW. RIDICULOUS. I did find a used one cheaper. But STILL.

This guy said he found a Denso replacement (I love things like that) for ten bucks. The link is too old but if it is the resistor, I bet you could get a non-LR replacement by taking yours to the parts place and finding a matching connector.

I add the transistor to the parts that I STUPIDLY sent to the boneyard when I got rid of my parts rover. WIFE'S FAULT FOR RUSHING ME.

Here are some instructions for finding the transistor, but sadly the picture links are bad (the description is okay). His avatar is NSFW, IMHO.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-21-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Pontiac motor in and now I need to wire up.
New motor?

Say your putting power to motor, are you using a separate ground wire to a known good ground? Does it blow hard when hooked up to battery with two wires?

FYI. High speed bypasses power transistor/resistor.
Blower control
The ATC ECU operates a blower relay, power transistor and power relay to run the blower at one of 31 stepped
speeds. All speed steps are available in the automatic modes of blower control. In the manual mode, speed steps 3,
10, 16, 22 and 31 are used to provide slow, three intermediate and fast blower speeds. The ATC ECU energises the
blower relay and modulates the power transistor to operate the blower for speed steps 1 to 30. For speed step 31, the
ATC ECU energises the power relay, which switches the earth side of the blower motor direct to earth, bypassing the
power transistor.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Blower1.pdf (80.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Pro Wrench

thanks guys!

I havent got back to it but I'm about to.

The transistor is definitely a possibility. I read where they took it apart and replaced something for $15. I like that kind of fix too.

I'd like to test my voltages all the way through as well as I suspect there are multiple problems. I need to figure out how to do that right, ie. grounds, proper testing etc..basic electrics?

As for the fan, it's brand spanking new. Like the old fan it has two wires coming out of it. I attached those two wires directly to the battery (with inline fuses) for a few seconds. It spun but It wasn't impressive. I didnt get to sit in the truck and feel its full effect however because I had to hold the wires.

Hows the ground work in that situation? was i supposed to go hot to the blower and black to the metal/good ground?

Nice subway map. That hurts my brain but i will try and get my head around it.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Pro Wrench

I read that the black of the battery is the ground so I think I'm ok.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Hows the ground work in that situation? was i supposed to go hot to the blower and black to the metal/good ground?
Yes. Then if it blow good it would indicate you have high resistance to ground.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench

I pulled the blower transistor. Ugh.

Theyre not cheap and when Ill most likely need a new compressor or something else for the system.

I'm inclined to replace the transistor...like in this post:

Blower resistor...do I fix it, - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Quick Reply: little help - blower/electrical problem