Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locating coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locating coolant leak

I have a small amount of coolant pooling up on the top of my motor and I can find where its coming from. If you are looking at my motor from the front of the truck its on the right side in the small pocket area right behind the coolant temp sensor (right by the first head bolt). I can dry it up and take it for a drive and it comes back. I have checked the small hoses in that area with no luck. I am starting to think that its coming up through the head bolt. I had the head gaskets done not too long ago. Has anyone see coolant in this area before? Once I notice a small amount puddled on my valley pan gasket as well.

Jason

Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the throttle body heater, its the little box with 2 nipples on it. It could be the gasket ($3 from AB) or the plate itself ($20 from AB). I had the same thing, when I got it off it looked like the Dexcool had actually started to erode the thing. I just bought the $20 kit - http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010K.cfm.

Let me know if that its. You should be able to just undo the intake piping and MAF from the manifold and lean down to see it clearly. I think... Its late... I will look at mine again tomorrow otherwise update this.

P.S. - flush your system good, change the t-stat, and switch to the regular blue stuff (aluminum safe of course).

Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Time to do a pressure test.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Three Wheeling

RJ95, that part you listed is for a D2. I have a D1. I should have put that in my post.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 05-29-2010, 12:37 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Put some dye in the coolant and see exactly where it is leaking

Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasons
I have a small amount of coolant pooling up on the top of my motor and I can find where its coming from. If you are looking at my motor from the front of the truck its on the right side in the small pocket area right behind the coolant temp sensor (right by the first head bolt). I can dry it up and take it for a drive and it comes back. I have checked the small hoses in that area with no luck. I am starting to think that its coming up through the head bolt. I had the head gaskets done not too long ago. Has anyone see coolant in this area before? Once I notice a small amount puddled on my valley pan gasket as well.

Jason
Can you post a picture?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Administrator

So what about the easy trouble shoot, pressure testing the coolant system?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a leak at/around your thermostat housing area.
I had a similar leak, tightened the clamp on the upper radiator hose and the leak stopped.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Seems to be leaking from the headbolt. Its the first one behind the temperature sending unit. What does this mean and how can I fix it? The head gaskets we just done about 1k miles ago.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rj95lss
Check the throttle body heater, its the little box with 2 nipples on it. It could be the gasket ($3 from AB) or the plate itself ($20 from AB). I had the same thing, when I got it off it looked like the Dexcool had actually started to erode the thing. I just bought the $20 kit - http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010K.cfm.

Let me know if that its. You should be able to just undo the intake piping and MAF from the manifold and lean down to see it clearly. I think... Its late... I will look at mine again tomorrow otherwise update this.

P.S. - flush your system good, change the t-stat, and switch to the regular blue stuff (aluminum safe of course).
P.S. - flush your system good, change the t-stat, and switch to the regular blue stuff
Is not a good idea for our engine, it is more engine specific like for some BMW's and other vehicles as well as usually too expensive.

Quick Reply: Locating coolant leak