Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked lug nut on spare

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locked lug nut on spare

I have dodged a huge bullet. After I bought my DI in December 08, I made sure I had a jack and lug wrench in case of a flat. I have driven her almost 30k miles since then including a trip from Texas to Colorado. Tonight I go to remove the spare to do a good cleaning behind it and discover one of the lug nuts holding on the spare is a lock lug nut, and I dont have the insert to remove it. The places I have been not knowing I would not be able to get the spare off is a bit frightening.

If it is OEM, can I get the insert from the dealer and if not any ideas on how to get it off?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll probably come off with a large visegrip if it's not corroded.

Or take it to a tire shop, they remove more of them than you or I do.

luck,greg

Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Tip from your Uncle Spike...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the condition of your spare tire every 6 months, this includes taking it off the truck (or out of the trunk) and doing a complete visual inspection as well as air pressure check.

I bought a car once and got a flat a year or so later and the spare was flat.
Tires loose air pressure at a average rate of 1-2 PSI a month, this is just the way it is as tires are not air tight.
I take my spares to the local tire shop and have them filled with nitrogen because it does not leak.
My utility trailer tires were filled with nitrogen almost 10 years ago and they are still at the 40 psi I had them put them at then.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And also carry as a preventative measure a little 12V air compressor. It is something really cheap and really useful.

I don't think you can get the insert at the dealer. Your best bet is a good bolt extractor.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Vise grips will not remove it.If it is a factory/dealer installed lock, you can usually find a dealers service dept that has a mast set of keys.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember packing a socket and breaker bar for my trip to Colorado. I even checked the socket on one of the nuts, but did not notice the lock.

It looks OEM to me, I will go by the dealer tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue, and the dealer has the "keys" for about $35, given the at a match is found.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Vise grips will not remove it.If it is a factory/dealer installed lock, you can usually find a dealers service dept that has a mast set of keys.
I did

luck,greg

Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Or just take it to your local mechanic and have them break off the locking nut with a impact gun.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it isthe original factory spare that came with the vehicle new in 1997, it probably is not safe to run anyway considering it is now approximately 14 years old.

From what I have read, tires like that are a ticking time bomb once put on the vehicle. It MAY do for temporary use as a spare only. I know I have seen other write-ups regarding the use of old spares. SOme people buy five tires instead of 4 and rotate the fifth one in with the others to avoid such a situation. Some people never rotate their tires. Which category do you fall in?

Quick Reply: Locked lug nut on spare