Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker choices and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Locker choices and opinions

Well after blowing a rear diff and having my traction control stop working while on the trail for probably the 10th time I’ve decided to upgrade.
I’ve always run selectable lockers in the past. I’m looking for opinions on what other members here have installed for traction aids and your opinions and experiences.
anyone here run a Detroit?
a truetrac?
ashcroft lsd?
front lockers?
front lsd?
arb air lockers?
TRE electric locker?
drivability with an auto locker and full time 4wd? In snowy roads?
please give advise and experience with your setups,
thanks

Old 09-27-2020, 10:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

I have an Ashcroft rear air locker and plan on adding one to the front if I stick with the rover axles. I have a friend in a RRC that has a LSD in the front and detroit in the rear and loves it but he doesn't drive it in the snow.

Honestly I think with the rover diffs and axles that the selectables are the only option if running 285s or larger. The LSD and trutracs require wheel spin to engage which implies there is a shock on the system when they do "lock" and hopefully get traction. That added shock is completely avoidable with true selectable lockers and not going crazy on the skinny pedal...plus you maintain stock functionality in on road manners and winter driving (I find the stock TC if it works and normal awd or locked CDL to be more than adequate and very predictable in slippery conditions). The added cost is worth it to me to have the added level of control. Control over whether the front is locked or not is huge as those axle upgrades cost a bunch and since we don't have full float axles going through sets up there doesn't seem worth it to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by whowa004:
Richard Gallant (09-28-2020), The Deputy (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

I am with @whowa004 if you are going to add a locker a selectable is the best choice. All the others try to lock based on wheel spin and can be unpredictable in snow and icy road conditions, as well if you are not easy on the gas off roading you can overload your axles or diff from the shock loading as noted.

Ashcroft has a 2 versions of helical geared Diffs which largely eliminates the shock loading, the ashcroft unit is a little cheaper than the selectable the other is more. So kind of a wash price wise but another option.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

the Ashcroft unit also has more gear engagement vs the ARB air locker units so in theory they are stronger plus a little cheaper.