Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long weekend project

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019 | 04:19 PM
|
Pro Wrench

6 hours..

Head gaskets look ok. Slight damage to rear water jackets, but I think main leak from right rear was intake gasket.

Old 08-10-2019 | 06:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Everything looks ok, judging by the oil/dirt build up on the outside of the block the valve cover gaskets and/or valley pan gaskets were leaking, Have you done the PCV mod.

Old 08-10-2019 | 09:33 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Extinct
Everything looks ok, judging by the oil/dirt build up on the outside of the block the valve cover gaskets and/or valley pan gaskets were leaking, Have you done the PCV mod.
I have not done that mod yet, and yes the valve covers were leaking. I powerwashed the engine before tearing it down, but the front cover is still an oily mess and I got a cyl 2 4 6 8 misfire from the bath. Lol. I'm changing out the plug wires as #3 was arcing to the valve cover after the wash.
The valley is leaking oil, and I'm pretty sure the coolant leak was from the right rear of the valley as the gasket was deteriorated at the rear water jacket.

I called it a day after the first 90° torque as it was already 7pm. I spent way too much time on the phone with parts stores trying to get my power steering pump warrantied, and finding crucifix seals for when I do the oil pan. I am 95% sure I pre-ordered the crucifix seals and put them with all of the other parts for this job, but when I opened the boxes I couldn't find them. They are probably at my house 100 miles away. Luckily, the local Carquest can get them from Worldpac by Tuesday morning, so I should be good.

Old 08-10-2019 | 10:14 PM
|
Pro Wrench

By the way, I found torque readings after the first 90° to be 64 lb/ft

Old 08-11-2019 | 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Nice work! I wish mine had turned out that way but I ended up with a chunk missing from the deck and a slipped sleeve. Now I am all in on an engine rebuild. 😳

Old 08-11-2019 | 10:41 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Sorry for no pics today. Long day. Started the day with the final 90° torque on the bolts. Then decided to redo all of the plastic loom on the engine harness, and use dielectric grease on every plug (which meant unplugging the crank sensor behind the engine and the O2 sensor which I had just plugged in, so I could grease them). Then came the front cover degreasing before the timing chain, oil pump, timing gasket tomorrow. I did find what I have found to be the best engine degreaser I have ever used: Simple Green oven & BBQ cleaner. Spray it on, it foams up, use a brass brush gently, and then brake clean it off. I now have bare aluminum. Going to have to use Worldpac through Carquest to get two seals that did not come with the head gasket set, by Tuesday morning: the heater pipe o-ring, and the water inlet o-ring. Since you have to remove both pipes to get the intake off in order to take the heads off, shouldn't those o-rings come with the head set??!!

I will be sure to take pics of the clean front cover tomorrow.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 08-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2019 | 06:15 AM
|
Pro Wrench

6am and back at it. Here is the front of the engine after the Simple Green BBQ cleaner. Compared with earlier photo of gunked up engine.

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019 | 07:00 AM
Rock Crawling

She is looking good. Keep it up. Be sure to do an oil change do rid of spilled coolant in crankcase.

Old 08-12-2019 | 10:40 AM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
She is looking good. Keep it up. Be sure to do an oil change do rid of spilled coolant in crankcase.

Gonna have to as I pulled the oil pan this morning to change the oil pump and timing chain with the timing cover gasket.

Old 08-12-2019 | 11:26 AM
|
Pro Wrench

timing cover off

Quick Reply: Long weekend project