Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long weekend project

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Nearing the end of day 3. Timing chain and oil pump replaced. Have crucifix seals and oil pan gasket tomorrow along with finishing the top end.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Custom made cam gear holding tool for loosening and torquing the cam gear.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Project finished. I was in a time crunch or I would have taken more pictures.. I will take one of the engine tomorrow.
Decided to paint the valve covers with ceramic high heat paint.

Things to note: the head gasket set I got from RoversNorth did not come with the water outlet o-ring or the heater pipe o-ring, but I've never seen a Rover head set come with those, so be sure to add them to your list.

Was not able to get oil cooler hose o-rings in time (have to come off for timing cover) so I just left the hoses unattached and filled the holes on the front cover with blanks I pulled from an '03 until I get o-rings. The pipe that goes into the bottom is ruining my freshly cleaned oil pan with residual oil, and the other one is currently zip tied to the cruise control diaphragm bracket.

Decided not to do the crucifix seals as I did not have time to pull the starter and crankshaft sensor to get the bearing cap off. I did notice that the seals were extended past the block and not trimmed flush, so I used a 3M 7 + 7515 conditioning disc to make them smooth and flush. I will do the crucifix seals whenever I feel the need to do lower end bearings.

I had an appointment I had to be at by 5:30 today which was 2 hours away from where I was working on it. It was 2:30 when I refilled the fluids and 3 p.m. by the time I got the hood on.

Pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it until the oil pressure light went off. Put the relay back in, and let fuel pressure build, and it started. I left the shop and immediately knew something was wrong as it felt like I had a misfire but no check engine light. At the next stoplight, got a flashing check engine. Check codes and found cylinders 4 and 6 misfiring. Apparently, in my haste to leave, I had put the spark plug wires on wrong. Switch two wires, cleared the codes, and made a 150 mile trip. That was either incredibly stupid, or incredibly ballsy.

Monitored temperatures the entire way and they never got above 194 degrees. I did get a P0150 as I approached home. My thoughts are that the bank 2 sensor 1 got fouled with the pre-work engine bath and the after work right bank misfire. I have cleared the code, And it has not returned.

I have a pending p0174 (right bank leak) which could either be from the misfires and HO2 sensor issue, or possibly a clogged pcv baffle as I half assed cleaned it when I had the cover off. I've got a proper pcv valve ordered from O'Reilly to do the upgrade.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Project finished. I was in a time crunch or I would have taken more pictures.. I will take one of the engine tomorrow.
Decided to paint the valve covers with ceramic high heat paint.

Things to note: the head gasket set I got from RoversNorth did not come with the water outlet o-ring or the heater pipe o-ring, but I've never seen a Rover head set come with those, so be sure to add them to your list.

Was not able to get oil cooler hose o-rings in time (have to come off for timing cover) so I just left the hoses unattached and filled the holes on the front cover with blanks I pulled from an '03 until I get o-rings. The pipe that goes into the bottom is ruining my freshly cleaned oil pan with residual oil, and the other one is currently zip tied to the cruise control diaphragm bracket.

Decided not to do the crucifix seals as I did not have time to pull the starter and crankshaft sensor to get the bearing cap off. I did notice that the seals were extended past the block and not trimmed flush, so I used a 3M 7 + 7515 conditioning disc to make them smooth and flush. I will do the crucifix seals whenever I feel the need to do lower end bearings.

I had an appointment I had to be at by 5:30 today which was 2 hours away from where I was working on it. It was 2:30 when I refilled the fluids and 3 p.m. by the time I got the hood on.

Pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it until the oil pressure light went off. Put the relay back in, and let fuel pressure build, and it started. I left the shop and immediately knew something was wrong as it felt like I had a misfire but no check engine light. At the next stoplight, got a flashing check engine. Check codes and found cylinders 4 and 6 misfiring. Apparently, in my haste to leave, I had put the spark plug wires on wrong. Switch two wires, cleared the codes, and made a 150 mile trip. That was either incredibly stupid, or incredibly ballsy.

Monitored temperatures the entire way and they never got above 194 degrees. I did get a P0150 as I approached home. My thoughts are that the bank 2 sensor 1 got fouled with the pre-work engine bath and the after work right bank misfire. I have cleared the code, And it has not returned.

I have a pending p0174 (right bank leak) which could either be from the misfires and HO2 sensor issue, or possibly a clogged pcv baffle as I half assed cleaned it when I had the cover off. I've got a proper pcv valve ordered from O'Reilly to do the upgrade.

Good job. Lots of work. Hopefully you get her running without any codes

Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench

Fan upgrade

Clean oil pan

Clean oil pan pt 2
Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Good job. Lots of work. Hopefully you get her running without any codes
Thank you! Yes, today was code free. I think the b2s1 got confused from all the misfires on that bank. Will have a pcv from O'Reilly tomorrow, and a throttle body heater kit from worldpac through carquest tomorrow. (Same price and no freight)

Got new orings and reinstalled my oil cooler hoses today after work.

Temps while driving around town are 188-194° (have the grey stat) never reaching above 201 while stationary at a long light.

As promised, here are pics of the finished project:

Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Good stuff, we gotta keep these discos on the road. No matter what it takes( within reason). Hard work pays, don’t get discouraged.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:56 PM
Pro Wrench

It can be buffed out...
Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
Good stuff, we gotta keep these discos on the road. No matter what it takes( within reason). Hard work pays, don’t get discouraged.
Check my post after I totaled it hitting a parking lot post under "what did you do today.."

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 08-14-2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 08-16-2019, 12:32 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

That sucks

Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
That sucks
Indeed. I felt sick when I saw the damage.
3 days and a spare Disco resulted in this:

Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

That is incredible work. Truly.

Quick Reply: Long weekend project