Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longest without engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my 01 in 2011 and I've never had any light ever come on. Even the 3 amigo's I've never had.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Boy^^^^if that isn't a jinx, l don't know what is...lol...you may want to hang on to your hat there Big Jim...might be trouble brewing now.

But, all joking aside...since l've deleted the SAI on both rovers here...the light was a constant battle that l didn't want to deal with (hence the cover up). I just check my codes about once a month or whenever one of the rovers are running poorly (which, knock on wood).

l've got to get after the no ABS/TC on my 01, but after turning wrenches all day...it is not even a blip on my radar.

Brian.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:20 PM
TReK
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
I bought my 01 in 2011 and I've never had any light ever come on. Even the 3 amigo's I've never had.

are your lights working lol

Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I've never seen one yet in 15 years only initially prior to starting for a few seconds warning lights check. I suppose TDI's have less problems.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 AM
TReK
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I've never seen one yet in 15 years only initially prior to starting for a few seconds warning lights check. I suppose TDI's have less problems.

if you had our engines I don't think you would be driving a disco. Lucky you

Old 08-16-2018, 07:21 AM
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

Wait you can get these lights to go off? Ha who knew

Old 08-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I still say I’ve owned other make 4x4’s that were much newer with less miles, and had 3 times the issues I’ve ever had with a single Land Rover from 94-06 models.

Getting a good one from the start is key, having a scantool that can read LR specific faults can pin point you directly to the issue. SAI stuff is usually vacuum line related, or hose related, 3 Amigo’s are simple to diagnose once Option B is performed, it’s mainly ABS sensor related after that, and the rest of the stuff is like any other 4x4.

I wouldn’t own a LR if it was just a pile of crap with a christmas tree for a dash. I use em for D/D driving, long trips, short trips, off roading, and everything else you can think of. Zero issues. I wasn’t in the military personally, but I treat all my vehicles with military type maintenance/pre-flight checks.

I had a dude in an older 86 Toyota Land Cruiser laugh out loud at me while I was at a gas station in my Kalahari when I popped the hood to just do a quick spot/fluid check after 6hr on the road. We left at the same time & we were side by side at the light. It went green I took off, his Land Cruiser stalled, I saw him put his flashers on & jump out to look under the hood. I was grinning from ear to ear thinking to myself who is laughing now pal...

Old 08-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by redwhitekat

if you had our engines I don't think you would be driving a disco. Lucky you
I owned one, a D2 4.0 HSE in 2000-2003, but I got bored towing a fuel tanker around everywhere

My biggest gripe was the ACE keep 'acting up' so I had ACE deleted on my new 2003 but retained the SLS, oh, and the awful mpg's from the V8 engine.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 08-16-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I still say I’ve owned other make 4x4’s that were much newer with less miles, and had 3 times the issues I’ve ever had with a single Land Rover from 94-06 models.

Getting a good one from the start is key, having a scantool that can read LR specific faults can pin point you directly to the issue. SAI stuff is usually vacuum line related, or hose related, 3 Amigo’s are simple to diagnose once Option B is performed, it’s mainly ABS sensor related after that, and the rest of the stuff is like any other 4x4.

I wouldn’t own a LR if it was just a pile of crap with a christmas tree for a dash. I use em for D/D driving, long trips, short trips, off roading, and everything else you can think of. Zero issues. I wasn’t in the military personally, but I treat all my vehicles with military type maintenance/pre-flight checks.

I had a dude in an older 86 Toyota Land Cruiser laugh out loud at me while I was at a gas station in my Kalahari when I popped the hood to just do a quick spot/fluid check after 6hr on the road. We left at the same time & we were side by side at the light. It went green I took off, his Land Cruiser stalled, I saw him put his flashers on & jump out to look under the hood. I was grinning from ear to ear thinking to myself who is laughing now pal...
X1 ................... it's all about meticulous regular maintenance

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

To me, the sign of a good/great vehicle is when you can take it past it's maintenance schedules, abuse it, treat it like dirt and it still preforms. Even though l'm a mechanic, I press my vehicles to there fullest extent. I'm hard on them, period. It's just like the tool discussions you folks are having here about Harbor Frieght tools. Yes, they sell some tools that are "okay" for home use. But, in my world...a tool has to exceed all expectations of what it was intended to do. Example, when l can use a 3/8's socket on a 1/2 airgun (rated 600 footpounds of torque), with a reducer, maybe even applying heat, maybe even beating it onto the rusty nut with a dead blow hammer, all while using shop air of 220 lbs. and it doesn't fail...that 3/8's socket has out performed it's requirements.

My current Silverado 4X4 only gets the hood opened twice a year, upon service, every 15000 miles. At 167K, it's check engine light has never, ever came on (beside initial check).

Our Chrysler T&C had 299760 miles, when l "drove" it to the junkyard (and believe it or not..it drove and rode beautifully), and the check engine light only came on once during its lifetime. And that was after having the waterpump replaced (had back issues at the time and couldn't do it myself), and it was on, because the mechanic had leaned on the EGR hose and cracked it. Changed the oil once a year on this car and l average about 30 a year, hood opened only then. So, that just goes to show you how hard l was on it...but it performed.

Last Silverado 4X4, 279K...when l traded it in. Drove and ran like a top, check engine light had probably came on only twice in its lifetime (code P0420 - cat related), near the end, about once a year. Cleared it and it was good for another year.

Our GMC Jimmy 4X4 had 325K, when l sold it (because it still drove and ran great). Never once did l see a check engine light for an issue...never...ever.

I'm not going to go through every vehicle l've ever owned, since the list is long (although, there is a list in the off-topic section, about previous vehicles). But, for the most part...l don't see a lot of check engine lights on quality made vehicles...well...until the rovers came along...lol. Yes, l could probably keep that from happening...but...l do not expect these types of repairs to be necessary, especially, at these mileage levels or considering the amount of times I open the hoods on these things. If l don't open the hood before, during and after ever lengthy trip l take...l'm sure they would fail. And, thanks to the rovers...l've gone from changing oil from about once or twice on a vehicle a year...to ever 3 or 4 thousand now...which is about a month and a half of driving for me.

Truth be told...out of the short list of vehicles mentioned above...l do not ever remember any of them running poorly. Turn the key and drive...and that's the way a vehicle should perform in my book. But, everyone's book of expectations is different...l guess?

Just my two cents...which is based on...forty some years of working on vehicles (for a living) and seeing the good, the bad and the ugly of a lot of brands.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Longest without engine light