Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a 2000 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

i think ill just stick with the 18" that i have read are the OEM.
D1 18" and D2 are 21".

D2 wiper clip looks as one in link.
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...oRZ/s-l225.jpg

when you could possibly need one
Why I'll be ordering a couple spares. Can't wait 10 years to change blades around here so should still be good to go.

If short experience didn't impress would not take the time to share, recommend or reorder.

P.S. in the future it's a good idea to search forum and/or web to first get a clue and then start a new thread on wiper blades to get advice/recommendations.

Last edited by number9; 02-21-2016 at 11:02 AM. Reason: coma
Old 02-21-2016, 11:15 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You can fix the back door by tying a ratcheting strap/come along to the spare tire. Hook the other end to something very solid, like a concrete wall... SLOWLY ratchet it out so that it is back to normal. Be aware of the distances of the tire from the door at the top, bottom, and both sides and adjust until it measures even all around. I had other undamaged Trucks to look at and measure so I could get it just right.

I did this when mine was rear ended... After the other drivers insurance paid me handsomely as the shop rate includes a repaint just in case the paint cracks.

I was hit by a Subaru so the tire was hit on the low side. that is where I attached the strap.

Last edited by Dave03S; 02-21-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

very good idea!! thanks,

Originally Posted by Dave03S
You can fix the back door by tying a ratcheting strap/come along to the spare tire. Hook the other end to something very solid, like a concrete wall... SLOWLY ratchet it out so that it is back to normal. Be aware of the distances of the tire from the door at the top, bottom, and both sides and adjust until it measures even all around. I had other undamaged Trucks to look at and measure so I could get it just right.

I did this when mine was rear ended... After the other drivers insurance paid me handsomely as the shop rate includes a repaint just in case the paint cracks.

I was hit by a Subaru so the tire was hit on the low side. that is where I attached the strap.

as for the wipers, so i got some other ones at Walmart and i even looked at the book and looked up the discovery. i still got the wrong blades i guess. so will be returning these as well. i did find a conversion kit for $50ish on Ebay. converts it to the J hook style. iv had those beem style wipers on my Jetta for almost 5 years now and 4 years here in Dallas TX and they seem to hold up really well. so would like to get the same for the D2 i think.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling

here is that wiper kit i found on ebay, is this the correct kit?

Wiper Arm Blade Upgrade Kit Discovery I Arms for Discovery Series II | eBay

Old 02-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling

and whats with these lug nuts on this vehicle? is there a good aftermarket replacement? 1'' socket when the cover is off and looks like 27mm had a snug fit over the covered ones.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
here is that wiper kit i found on ebay, is this the correct kit?
Most of the reviews on AB website say the included blades are junk. It would be nice if they sold the kit sans the blades. If $15 bucks cheaper w/o blades I would've bitten but didn't want to spend more on decent blades locally. Some folks also claim the D1 arm pressure etc. is better which was a selling point. Mine don't seem to have any issues using D2 OEM arms/blades and spent my $60 on other parts/beer. $0.02 more since opinions are cheap.

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
and whats with these lug nuts on this vehicle? is there a good aftermarket replacement? 1'' socket when the cover is off and looks like 27mm had a snug fit over the covered ones.
Search and you will find much info. Once you figure out what you think is needed good idea to ask about vendors/pricing.

Last edited by number9; 02-21-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling

A few photos

Old 02-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Looks like a nice clean and good one.

Replace the upper radiator hose assembly ASAP that's an old style one and has probably never been R&R'd.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling

I see the AB hose kit, iv read of people spending $200. All Im finding is this AB hose kit for $260

Land Rover Discovery Series II Hose Kit

the guy i bought it from had the coolant return line replaced with a piece of metal tubing, runs just below that plastic cover over the fan, so likely will never have to replace that one. the kit comes with that hose it looks like, i suppose ill hold on to it or sell it to some one. Also looks like ill order that Lucky front shaft too for $198.

pick up a thermostat

should i just replace the water pump as well with all the hoses removed out of the way? i feel resistance in the fan and the fan has no wobble in it.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Pro Wrench

AB kits convenient but a bit pricey at times. Most vendors sell original or aftermarket upper/lower hose assemblies and the other hoses and pipes individually. Put own kit together and you don't pay for unneeded spares. If you take some time looking you may realize mucho cost savings. Likely total would be well under $150 for what you're looking for. AB individual PNs sans the G usually work well to bring up alternatives when doing a parts search. Cost of parts on these is all over the map. Most LR aftermarket replacements seem to be trouble free with a few occasional exceptions.

Quick Reply: looking at a 2000 Discovery