Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 00 D2

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 09:23 PM
|
Mudding
Default Looking to buy a 00 D2

Hey guys, have been reading for a while and decided to join. I have read all the stickies and am looking to a buy a 00 Discovery II as the title states. It is used with about 90k miles. I will be the third owner and current owner does not know if driveshafts or headgaskets were ever changed(he did not do it and does not know if first owner did).

I have no garage or tools and am located in NYC, is it worth getting the headgasket replaced even if I do not have any problems? From what I read, the headgasket and driveshafts will go out no matter what?

Also is SLS standard with ACE? Which of those 2 have problems? I read SLS will have problems, some say ACE is good and I think I read some ACE problems?

Thanks!

Last edited by LundRover; 01-18-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2011 | 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling

If you didn't do it then it hasn't been done. Follow this rule with your rover and you'll be fine. This forum is a great place to learn how to make them right.

Good luck and welcome

Old 01-18-2011 | 09:38 PM
|
Mudding

Great thank you, I was going to assume no work was done and bring the car upto speed. I read the 60k and up major maintenance thread.

I read the rebuild thread and since I have no garage/tools/space and is this the correct item I would need my mechanic to install?
http://www.toddcosuspensions.com/larodiiifrdr.html

Old 01-18-2011 | 09:55 PM
TReK

garage/tools/time or a fat wallet..one is required to own a rover

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:14 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LundRover
From what I read, the headgasket and driveshafts will go out no matter what?
Loaded question. All depends on how you drive/maintenance the thing and what kinda shape it's in when you acquire it. If you plan to wheel it then yes, most definitely, your gonna break it among other things. hehehe

3 owners is not so bad. Any maintenance records from the last owner? Have your drove it? Any weird sounds? Engine idle sounds, both cold and warm idles? Any major leaks? Funny smells? Squeaks, whistles? Remember these trucks are nothing more than british 4x4 v8 farm trucks with heated seats and a nice radio. Ask the owner the last maintenance he did on the truck other than an oil change. If he again says "I do not know". Walk away....he is hiding something and is trying to unload his problem...haha

Oh and your gonna need some tools if you buy one of these. And that's for any 10+ year old v8 4x4, not just a rover. X2 NiteTrain.

If your in NYC with all the weather you guys have had a 00 D2 would be pretty fun right now though....what other 4x4s you looking into it? Or is the disco your only focus?

Last edited by sloan74; 01-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2011 | 07:50 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks for the replies, I will see and drive it this weekend. Sadly I won't offroad, will use it to commute, road trips and ski trips. We do get a lot of snow here so one reason I wanted it.

Hmm otherwise I would spend more and buy a new Xterra or used 4runner.

I can get the D2 without a car payment.

Old 01-19-2011 | 08:07 PM
TReK

D2 is great for ski trips but be aware if your commute has a lot of stop and go you'll probably get 12mpg fuel economy

Old 01-19-2011 | 08:10 PM
|
Mudding

Haha I'm in NYC all my commute is stop and go, I'm better off walking or with a prius*barf*

Old 01-21-2011 | 07:25 PM
|
Mudding

Just test drove it on highway, local streets and snow . Drives awesome! Drove it for about 20 miles almost, did not hear or feel anything weird at all!

Front drive shaft has not been done, owner has receipts for oil changes and fluids have been checked/topped off.

Does the front driveshaft go out no matter what? This is the only thing I am worried about... It has 95k miles, no noises, squeaks or leaks at all. Drives like a dream in snow as well! Interior was perfect with no tears or rips, slight headliner sag.

I will probably change the plugs/wires/coolant and brakes feel like they are on the way out.

Also how do I know if it has ACE? It has leather(no heated seats), 18inch rims and hill descent control.

What do you guys think? I am going to buy it I think...

Last edited by LundRover; 01-21-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2011 | 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LundRover
Just test drove it on highway, local streets and snow . Drives awesome! Drove it for about 20 miles almost, did not hear or feel anything weird at all!

Front drive shaft has not been done, owner has receipts for oil changes and fluids have been checked/topped off.

Does the front driveshaft go out no matter what? This is the only thing I am worried about... It has 95k miles, no noises, squeaks or leaks at all. Drives like a dream in snow as well! Interior was perfect with no tears or rips, slight headliner sag.

I will probably change the plugs/wires/coolant and brakes feel like they are on the way out.

Also how do I know if it has ACE? It has leather(no heated seats), 18inch rims and hill descent control.

What do you guys think? I am going to buy it I think...
If the price is right and you feel like it's the one then make it happen. I looked for about 4 months and it took many a tire kick and test drive to finally pick her out.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 00 D2