Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 00 D2

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011 | 09:17 PM
TReK

yes, eventually the front shaft will fail so don't chance it..get it fixed if you buy it. If it has leather seats all you have to do is install switches for heated seats..I picked up a pair on ebay used for about $20.

Old 01-22-2011 | 07:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LundRover
I read the rebuild thread and since I have no garage/tools/space and is this the correct item I would need my mechanic to install?
http://www.toddcosuspensions.com/larodiiifrdr.html
Where are you going to keep this thing? Doing the drive shaft is not a big deal. You can order all the parts on line and take them and the drive shaft to any driveline shop to have them swapped for about half of what you are going to pay toddco.

It takes about 1/2 hour to get the drive shaft out if you have a couple of jack stands, a jack and some wrenches.........

Any buddy's with a garage you can borrow? How about a parking garage!

RS

Old 01-22-2011 | 07:29 PM
|
Mudding

Ok good to know, can any auto shop do it or I need to take it to a driveline shop?

It's hard bc I don't have all the tools. Unless any NY person here can help me and I'll pay.

Old 01-23-2011 | 08:57 AM
Winching

The front drive shaft will not break, it's the u-joints. If you get up under there and look it has a u-joint up front, then a cardan (2 u joints) in the rear of the drive shaft (right before it connects to the xfer case). Those 2 joints did not come with grease points and over time they can bind and break (due to lack of lubrication and heat from the exhaust that runs parallel next to the drive shaft).

It happens mostly when these trucks are off road, pushed to their limits. No lubrication + heat + a lot of force = broken joints.
hehe

Get up under there and inspect those 2 joints. Make sure they are not lose or binding. If everything looks/checks out then plan on having it done in time at your convenience.

The parts you will need are 3 u-joints and a center ball joint. I think I paid 70 bucks or so for the parts I cannot remember. Have a local mechanic do it for you. Labor your looking at 150-200 probably. I would not do it yourself, it's a pain if your unfamiliar with u-joint replacement in drive shafts.

Good luck on the sale! Hopefully you will get a loved on Rover. And definitely get the heated seat switches (X2 NiteTrain). That is my wifes favorite feature about this truck....LOL

Last edited by sloan74; 01-23-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2011 | 09:11 AM
Mudding

Sloan's estimates sound about right. Like I said before, removing the drive shaft easy and wrenches are cheap. It really a function of how mechanically inclined you are and how tight the money is..!

Either way, down load the Rave Manual. It is free........and even if you are going to have someone else work on the truck, it is a good idea to read up (and ask the folks here) on the work that is going to be done. That way you will minimize the chance of being over charged........good luck.