Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 2004 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 2004 Discovery

I'm looking into buying my first discovery. I wanted to know what things I should be looking for when choosing one? What are the most common failures (steering pump, transmission leak, radiator, electronics, etc.). Also, how easy are they to work on. I currently have a BMW 330i and do all my own maintenance on it without any issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you ever owned a 4wheeler before?
If you are mechanic ,hey are easy to work on.
Plan on doing a full service on one when you buy it, including new plug wires and either rebuild the front drive shaft or buy a new Tom Woods shaft to correct a grease/failure issue.
Make sure you have a qualified Rover mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection and if you find one get back to us so we can make sure you don't over pay.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

head gaskets and anything leaking are common. I agree with Mike, have a Rover mechanic (not the dealer) check it out before.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Have you ever owned a 4wheeler before?
I've had a 4x4 Trailblazer, but I would not consider that a true 4 wheeler.

Good thought on taking it to a mechanic first, any recommendations (I live in Indiana). Also, at what mileage (generally speaking) do the gaskets start to fail (50k, 75k, 100k, 150k)?

Where do you recommend buying parts from?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by the_darksyd
Good thought on taking it to a mechanic first, any recommendations (I live in Indiana). Also, at what mileage (generally speaking) do the gaskets start to fail (50k, 75k, 100k, 150k)?

Where do you recommend buying parts from?

Thanks for all your help!
Where in Indiana?

My Head Gaskets (04) went out at 50K. Common between 50-70K. There are a lot of good places to order parts online. Some common ones are:

Atlantic British http://www.roverparts.com/
Rovers North http://www.roversnorth.com/store/
British Pacific http://www.britishpacific.com/
D.A.P. http://www.dap-inc.com/
Roverland Parts http://www.roverlandparts.com/vehicles.aspx

Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Wolkesan
Where in Indiana?
Carmel

Old 02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

prior to purchase get a Block tester at NAPA its 50.00 with this you can test the coolant system for hydrocarbons.
If the fluid turns green or yellow then you have a leaking gasket, cracked head or damaged block.
This is a simple test and can save you thousands if you buy a leaker, or it gives you bargaining power for a price reduction.
Figure about 1200 if you supply the labor for a headgasket refresh this should include getting the heads done

Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm in the Carmel/Fishers area...

Unfortunately you are limited in the Indianapolis area when it comes to independent Land Rover Service. I do avoid dealerships, but for what it's worth I have had a decent experience with the LR service department @ Tom Wood on 96th street. Another option is Euro Motorworks. In my experience, They are just as expensive as the dealership but might be a good option for a pre-purchase inspection. Find out what they would charge. (I got an estimate from them for head gasket replacement that was as much (or a little more) than the dealership!

The Rover is pretty easy to work on, and there is good availability of parts. Check the maintenance log for service stamps or ask to see the receipts of work done. Check to see if the original front drive shaft has been replaced. If not try to talk them down $200 to $300. It will need to be replaced. Check for the warning lights to all illuminate when the key is turned on, and then go out after the engine is started. (This sounds like common sense, but unscrupulous owners have been known to disconnect the lights associated with the ABS fault.)

I have been using my 2004 Discovery as my daily driver since new, in addition to taking it off road and on many trips. It has never left me stranded, even when needing work. It does great off road, even stock and the CDL on the 04 is a real advantage. If you get one, or just want to ride along to see what the Rover can do off road, check out MVLRS.com

Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely do a PPI and take it on a long test drive. Leave the truck running when hot and listen for any knocks from the bottom end of the engine. Make sure there are no coolant leaks and the rear main seal isn't leaking. The rest of the leaks are pretty easy to fix. Check for the waterfall sound out of the heater core, sit in the truck with the doors closed and rev the engine up. A waterfall sound in the dash is usually a sign of bad head gaskets or a cracked block.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Drifting

I hate to be the wet blanket, but I have had nothing but engine problems with my 04'. I burn 1 qt every 1000 miles head gaskets went at 61,000 and rocker panels again at 70,000. Defective air box which took out my maf sensor at 69,500. I have a binderfull of stealership service tickets.