Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a used Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a used Disco

I know people post the same kind of questions everytime but I'm still a bit unsure. I have found a 99 seris II se7 for sale with 80,000 miles on it. I'm going to go look at it and was just wondering what kind of things i should look for. I know that a lot of people say to look for for leaks and caking on the front bars and transbox, but what other sort of things should I look for? What kinds of matenance should have been done for 80,000 miles? What should/would/will need to be replaced? WHat things should i be looking for? Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking to buy a used Disco

first look for the maintanence records. maintanence is the most important predictor of what could be a bad or good buy. The look around the vehicle as far as the disco. even tire wear. alignment correct. steering gear box. water leaks on the carpet are a common problem that has a usual cause of a clogged a/c evaporator line. check the carpets for water, moisture. If it is engine coolant (green liquid) then the heater core may be the problem. Cruise control problems are common on disco's. usuall fix is vaccum lines not a big deal. as about any repairs made by the owner. i.e. window regulators replaced. check all the glass gaskets. A good idea is to have someone with knowledge of the vehicle to inspect it. a dealer if you must.
Check brakes and rotors, timing belt, The rotors should have been changed by 80k, as well as the timing belt. The more you know about the vehicle before the purchase the better off you are.
I have a 96 disco 1 with 130k on it and have stayed on the maintainence and repaired things as the needed. No major problems. I plan on keeping it for a long time.
A point to remember is that land rover parts are not cheap.
My rover is more than gone beyond my expectations. Hope it helps. duboff