Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at buying '01 discovery need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at buying '01 discovery need advice

I have always liked the look and drive of the disco but never bought one. I have the chance now to buy one for about $2500 that needs HG replaced. It looks very nice and clean otherwise and has a supercharger as well. Mileage is 145000. Please advise.I have been told by other disco owners not to buy one. Why would they say that? Is this project doable? Thanks for any advice!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you sure it isn't a range rover?

Discovery didn't come with superchargers.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:51 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Ditto on what Jafir said plus...

The info which you have provided so far does not give us much to provide feedback to you, e.g., key info needed...

1) What is the intended use? daily driver, hobby car, any off-roading use?
2) Are your mechanically inclined?
3) If no, are there any local shops or clubs that can help you with repairs?
4) A HG job is going to run you at least $2.5K if you are unable to do it yourself? Has a pre-purchase inspection been done on the vehicle? Any other repair costs to be factored in?

A good condition, well-sorted D2 can be found $4K to $6K. For example, I bought my 2003 Disco with 79K miles, aftermarket 7" DVD movie player, navigation, rear cam, full wrap-around brush guard, factory side steps for $7.4K. Good deals can be found if you are willing to spend time to search around for them.

Good luck!

Last edited by acg; 05-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I wouldn't pay $2500 for a disco with a bad head gasket unless it had lots of extra goodies to go with it.

A nice range rover SSE with the super charger might be a different story. But I hear they eat pistons, so it might have other problems in addition to the head gasket. What are the symptoms?

Old 05-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Overlanding

I am a very experienced diy'r but I mainly specialize in Cadillac and other GM cars. I will be doing all work myself. Yes it is a disco, I kinda figured the SC was aftermarket. I have not contacted the seller yet. I wanted to know what to look for first. So it should be about 1500 u think? No off roading but maybe some towing of a medium trailer 3-4k lbs

Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Overlanding

from the looks of the pictures there is no SC. I think the seller is mistaken. anyway still would like as much info as I can get about common fixes and I'm still wondering why this man who pulled up in his discovery when I was at the whole foods parking lot told me not to buy one when I complimented his...what things should I look out for? I really like the truck but don't want to buy a money pit either. I will just find a nice Yukon and call it a day! please advise! thanks

Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cheap disco is never a cheap disco. You could buy a nice one, though.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so true dane. the princess need constant attention. if not the pig will remind you and empty your wallet... quickly. owning a rover has been known to cause paranoia.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Overlanding

please elaborate....I'm not getting much usable info here. appreciate the responses though! I need some good information if possible. have you guys read the questions in my posts?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Overlanding

what are the common failures exclusive to rovers? is it going to be reliable once repaired? I could buy one already running but this one also happens to be the dark gray color I like most. just from the ad, it looks like it has been taken decent care of. it's a private seller.

Quick Reply: looking at buying '01 discovery need advice