Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at buying '01 discovery need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:55 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Here's a little light read that should be required for all potential DII owners.

JE Robison Service — the blog: All you ever wanted to know about . . Land Rover V8 Engine Failures

Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
You need to do a bit more research.

Yes, oil pump failures are common on later rover V8 engines. Poor quality control on the later engine. You can get just the gears for $100 or you can get a whole front cover from England for $300.

I like the 2003-2004 better inside and out, but the older ones are much less likely to need an engine.
I just read a post that said the only fix was a new engine...that sound accurate? should I stay away from the 03-04 4.6L?

Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Here's a little light read that should be required for all potential DII owners.

JE Robison Service — the blog: All you ever wanted to know about . . Land Rover V8 Engine Failures
I will definitely do that ! thanks

Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 AM
Overlanding

what are the significant differences between a Dll and an 01 range rover? are there any?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 AM
TReK

Aside from have the same engines and engine management systems (Bosch), not much. The Range Rover is a much more complicated vehicle prone to it's own list of problems and is far less friendly to shade tree mechanics than the DII.

If your thinking about a Range Rover, rangerovers.net is an excellent site for you to take a look at. There are many dedicated P38 (the manufacturers designation for the Range Rover model we're talking about) owners and I will be one of the first to say they are a magnificent vehicle to drive. It's all the computers and electrical issues that scare me.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by prophet
I just read a post that said the only fix was a new engine...that sound accurate? should I stay away from the 03-04 4.6L?
I part out these vehicles for a living. The percentage of DII's I get due to catastrophic engine failure is frightening. I would say less than one in eight come through for parting with an engine I would dare to resell. The case was very different with DI's and Range Rover Classics. Engine block failures were far less common. I can't speak authoritatively on the P38 Range Rover because I haven't parted anywhere near as many as the other models.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 AM
TReK

The porosity John Robison spoke of in his blog is something that will happen regardless of any attempts to preserve an engine. Frankly, I'm amazed Rover hasn't had a class action suit brought against them.

As if the engine issue wasn't enough of a problem, we're starting to see the box frame the truck is built on, literally, splitting at the seams. Last year I actually sold a few rolling chassis to customers. Rovers North has been selling galvanized replacement frames while videos have been popping up showing shops and individuals performing these frame swaps.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
The porosity John Robison spoke of in his blog is something that will happen regardless of any attempts to preserve an engine. Frankly, I'm amazed Rover hasn't had a class action suit brought against them.

As if the engine issue wasn't enough of a problem, we're starting to see the box frame the truck is built on, literally, splitting at the seams. Last year I actually sold a few rolling chassis to customers. Rovers North has been selling galvanized replacement frames while videos have been popping up showing shops and individuals performing these frame swaps.
all I can say is...WOW

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM
TReK

I know it sounds awful and it's way more than anyone looking to buy a used vehicle should have to deal with. All I can say, and I hinted at it with the Alfa comment, is that when you have a Rover that's sorted (and that is possible, despite the warnings I've given here), there is no better 4x4 out there. For over 20 years there has always been at least one in my driveway and I would never want to go through a New England winter without one.

I've tried to provide this information in an effort to arm you with an understanding of what problems can occur but until you've owned a good Rover that's gotten you out of any number of jams, you'll never truly understand the absurd love/hate relationship we all indulge ourselves with through ownership. The key is to understand as much as you can about the failings of these vehicles going into them. That way you won't be quite so shocked.

I remember my first Range Rover. It was a new LWB that set me back a figure just north of $50k back in '93. Coming from German cars like BMW, Mercedes and Porsche I thought the Rover had to be comparable in terms of reliability. I thought I'd own that Range Rover for 20 years. The day I sold it (at a loss) a little more than three years later I was the happiest man alive. The albatross had been lifted from my shoulders. A friend nodded and said I give you a year before you own another one. He was right but instead of a complicated modern Rover, I bought one of the last NADA Series Rovers imported to the US in '74. That began a multi year process of rebuilding that truck from the ground up. I've never looked back since.

What can I say. I'm a Rover nut as are the majority of the guys on this board. We border on being certifiable. It works for some, not for others. The choice is yours. I wish you the best of luck whether it be with a Rover or whatever vehicle you ultimately choose.
Cheers,
Paul

Old 05-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Overlanding

Paul I truly appreciate all the help. in your opinion, is it possible if I maintained it exactly as it should be (and I would) that an 03 Dll could be a 200k vehicle with the same block? or is the sleeve failure an absolute guarantee?

you say you deal in parts for these, are the 4.0 and 4.6 blocks interchangeable?
this has been a truly interesting dialogue!

Quick Reply: looking at buying '01 discovery need advice