Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying 97 Discoveryneed help with mechinal issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying 97 Discoveryneed help with mechinal issue

Hi all! I'm new to these boards so please bear with me. I have test drove a 97 Discovery with 103,000 miles a couple times now and I'm strongly considering buying it. I love them and have always wanted one. It's a great price, but I noticed a couple things when driving it today. First, there is a power steering leak which is of course causing a whine when you turn the wheel. I've also noticed that there is a high pitched "shrill" that seems to get high or lower depending on whether you speed up or slow down. The thing is that I don't hear it until after about 5-6 miles.

The second thing, and what bothers me most, is that when I parked on my driveway and pulled the emergency brake the truck rolled back. I had to jump back in and jam on the brake pedal. Luckily, I hadn't gotten all the way out yet. I've always had Honda, Audi, and a few Nissans. I've never owned a LR and I'm wondering if I should take the risk on this one. Am I going to be looking at more repairs ($) down the road?? Anything anyone could tell me about common problems to look for and what to stay away from would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Looking at buying 97 Discoveryneed help with mechinal issue

Power steering leaks are very common on these trucks. 90% of the time it is a bad hose clamp.
That other noise is it coming from the engine or under the floor?
The parking brake is either way out of adjustment or disconnected.
I also have a '97.
Things to look out for are...neglected maintence. If there is anything that doesnt work then just ask and we can help you.
And yes, you will need money to get the truck up to par after you have bought it, how much money depends on how well the truck was taken care of.
And remember that you MUST use premium gas.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. We've decided to buy it but the dealership isreplacing the power steering pump today. That was ultimately the cause of the leak and loud noise I heard under the hood. Everything else seems to be in order....there is no rust on the doors that I can see and all the rubber seals are in great shape. I'm really excited to get it....we've wanted one for a while now. I'll definitely come back here if anything else comes up.

Also...thanks for the tip on premium. The inside of the fuel door says "Unleaded fuel only" so I probably would've went with regular.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You wont find rust on the body of a Rover, they are all aluminum.
If you read you owners manual it will tell you to use premium gas.
You will love the truck once you get it home, and any more questions just shout.