Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying DII with blown head gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying DII with blown head gasket.

Hey guys!

Back after about 2.5 years in Europe and looking at getting another DII. Saw one for sale that has blown head gasket and I am wondering what should I be looking for when examining this car, specifically things related to the blown head gasket. I would be doing the work myself with the help of a friend who's a mechanic and has a shop with most if not all tools.

I am familiar with all other items that we love so much about our Discovery's, but I would love to get some extra 411 on anything that could be related to the blown head gasket. What may have caused the blown hg, or what other damage may it have caused?

Thanks!
Lambert

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess my question would be: "why bother"?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't buy it unless you can get it for next to nothing. The possibility of it having a bad block is just too great to justify the risk. This truck may cost you far more to fix than just the top end you are estimating the cost of.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, the reason to buy is price. $4000 for a 2004 that is in great shape is imho a good price. But yes, i am looking for all good reasons not to do it.

So how would I be able to determine if it is "just" the head gaskets, or if we are talking about a bad block? What signs would I be looking/listening for under the hood?

And would you agree that $4K is a good price to pay if it is just the hg's?

Thanks for keeping me from making a stupid choice...

Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were just the head gaskets, and I was doing the work myself I still wouldn't pay that. Around here I could buy a good running truck for that money or less.

The only way to know is to tear it down. Unless there is coolant in the oil you have no way of knowing until it's apart. The block may still be bad even if the oil is not contaminated.

Even if it is JUST head gaskets, how do you plan to evaluate the rest of the truck without being able to drive it first?It would suck to buy it, fix the head gaskets, and find it has several other expensive problems. Not saying it will, but the potential is there.

If this was a DI I would say buy it and fix it, but the DII's just have too many problems with blocks to say yes.

Your money=your decision. Maybe you get lucky, maybe not?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Fuego
Well, the reason to buy is price. $4000 for a 2004 that is in great shape is imho a good price. But yes, i am looking for all good reasons not to do it.
Sounds like too much to me. There was someone selling an 04 on discoweb for $3500, and I think the only thing wrong with it was that it wouldn't pass smog or something.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

$4000 isn't a bad price(it better be immaculate though), could be better for an 03 perhaps but you might not get lower on an 04. Try $3500. Is the seller okay with an inspection or pressure test?

How many miles are on the truck? Is the drive shaft replaced? Can the truck currently be driven?

If it could be determined that its just head gaskets then $4000 isn't too shabby. The atlantic british gasket and bolt kit is like $250 I think, then you can also factor getting the heads machined if that's necessary. It all depends on your budget for the truck.

But also consider that since you are replacing the head gaskets you have a prime opportunity to replace most other gaskets as well like VC's, valley pan, and throttle body. But the main thing would be to determine if the block is still good or not.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 04-06-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Sounds like too much to me. There was someone selling an 04 on discoweb for $3500, and I think the only thing wrong with it was that it wouldn't pass smog or something.
The fact that someone on Dweb listed a 04 for $3500 means it is a piece of junk cause that isn't even close to the average going price across the U.S. for that year.
Would I buy this 04 with a questionable engine for $4000, it would depend on the condition of the rest of the truck, if I could get another good replacement 4.6 for say $3000 and if I was going to do the work my self.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The fact that someone on Dweb listed a 04 for $3500 means it is a piece of junk cause that isn't even close to the average going price across the U.S. for that year.
Would I buy this 04 with a questionable engine for $4000, it would depend on the condition of the rest of the truck, if I could get another good replacement 4.6 for say $3000 and if I was going to do the work my self.
It's great that you have a crystal ball, or whatever, and somehow know that a vehicle that you've never seen is a piece of junk.

Anyway, all I was saying is that I think $4000 for a disco that doesn't run and drive is too much, especially when you can get a running driving disco for the same or less. Sure 04's go for 10 or 12 grand all the time. Just because some uniformed person wants to over pay doesn't mean everyone else should too.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Mudding

Whats the condition of the truck, other than the supposedly blown HG? How did they get the diagnostic of a blown HG? Like said before, does the motor run at all or is it just a lump atm? I just redid the HG in my D1 last month and all said and done with machine work and parts i came in at just around 500 bucks, doing all the labour myself. 4k isnt too bad for a 04, id still talk them down though. It's still a big question mark though since you dont know if it is just the HG or if the block is cracked or slipped liner. It could go from cheap to spendy to sort really quick like.. Where's the truck located at? I'm local and could maybe take a look at it with you depending on your time frame. Do you need the truck to be up and running asap for DD status or could you sit on it for a minute and source a new motor or one that needs to be rebuilt and swap it at your leisure?

Quick Reply: Looking at buying DII with blown head gasket.