Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying DII with blown head gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good news is no one in their right mind would buy this truck.since you thought about buying it you should be able to make an offer of $2500 and tell the seller you're willing to comes with cash and a flatbed. As said before parts will be about $500. You should be able to get a complete 4.6 for two grand. Now if the block is cracked you're in for five. If not three grand.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Good news is no one in their right mind would buy this truck
so that means most of us arent in our right mind then.. lol..

Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone who knows of the trouble with rover blocks in the DII's will run away from that deal faster than the workers left Chernobyl when the alarms sounded.

Unless you have a line on a good engine you can drop in it you are taking a risk. You could always pin the sleeves, big write up just posted. You may get lucky and find it just needs gaskets and bolts, which will set you back $150+ shipping from Rovahfarm.

I would be interested to know why the owner is not interested in fixing it?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Fuego
Hey guys!

Back after about 2.5 years in Europe and looking at getting another DII. Saw one for sale that has blown head gasket and I am wondering what should I be looking for when examining this car, specifically things related to the blown head gasket. I would be doing the work myself with the help of a friend who's a mechanic and has a shop with most if not all tools.

I am familiar with all other items that we love so much about our Discovery's, but I would love to get some extra 411 on anything that could be related to the blown head gasket. What may have caused the blown hg, or what other damage may it have caused?

Thanks!
Lambert
It really does sound too good to be true. I'd say if you buy this thing, approach with the plan on replacing the entire engine. There are too many expensive reasons to why a HG blows.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Mudding

Keep walking.
Unless you buying it somehow causes the rover gods to let up on me, then I say go for it.
Cracked blocks
Slipped sleeves
Bad head bolt threads
Luck and Land Rover appearantly do not belong in the same sentence.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow, I spent a day working and lots of replies... THANKS!!

Did not make it any easier though...

To answer some of your questions::

- Have not seen the car in person, want to this weekend. SUPPOSEDLY the rest is in excellent condition with some scratches on front bumper.

- Have not asked the guy why he does not want to fix. Think it is a $$ issue as he is not a wrenched himself.

- Drive shaft replaced? not sure, I will get under it this weekend.

- Worst case scenario is cracked block. Owner said he did not have overheating issues though, so chances of that are probably smaller. (if he's honest)

I will sleep over it and decide if I want to go out and see it tomorrow after another days work...

Thanks again for all your input. Will report back!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by psykokid
so that means most of us arent in our right mind then.. lol..

exactly. i sold my 32mpg ford to buy a 20 year old range rover.... my 6th land rover.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
exactly. i sold my 32mpg ford to buy a 20 year old range rover.... my 6th land rover.
We are a very special* breed.

*and by special I mean the type of guy sitting in a shed in the back woods wearing squirrel underwear, a tinfoil hat, petting a dead raccoon called "Freddy" (who is really friendly, just likes to play dead around strangers) and talking about how the Aliens are using chicken robots to track your every movement.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 PM
4wd Low

For comparison, I paid about $5k for my '04 D2 that had no major issues at all. That was over a year ago.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not overheating? With a blown head gasket? Um,...........

Are you sure the gasket is blown? Perhaps the gasket rotted out at the coolant port and is seeping?

I'm still wondering why the owner isn't fixing it. Every DII I hear of that "just needs head gaskets" is the same story, they don't want to put the money into a vehicle that old. The reality is usually that they overheated the **** out of it and know it's not going to be "just head gaskets". They usually price the truck high so it doesn't seem too good to be true, but they will take nearly anything over what the junk yard will pay.

Start at $1500, tell him the odds of that truck "just needing head gaskets" are par with a unicorn winning the Kentucky Derby. If he says no, walk but leave him your number.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying DII with blown head gasket.