Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at Buying a Discovery...things to know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at Buying a Discovery...things to know?

Hello,
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and have been looking at the Discovery as an option for the last several months.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed when I came across some information giving to the impression that these vehicles are prone to problems.
If this information is correct, what are the problems that seem to plaugue the Discovery? Is there a better year than another?
Any help or information anyone can give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sincerely,
E. Anderson

Old 06-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you search, you'll find lots of threads with information for prospective buyers.

i'll give a quick answer: watch out for 2003 models because some had faulty engine blocks/oil pumps. you can search the VIN to see a given vehicle was affected.

the 2004 is considered one of the most reliable and off-road capable models (because it has the CDL). it also has a bigger engine. they tend to be harder to find and a bit more expensive than the 03s.

if you want a simple (more mechanical, less electrical) vehicle that is easier and cheaper to work on, buy a DI, which is pre-1999.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:26 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by oysterhead
if you search, you'll find lots of threads with information for prospective buyers.

i'll give a quick answer: watch out for 2003 models because some had faulty engine blocks/oil pumps. you can search the VIN to see a given vehicle was affected.

the 2004 is considered one of the most reliable and off-road capable models (because it has the CDL). it also has a bigger engine. they tend to be harder to find and a bit more expensive than the 03s.

if you want a simple (more mechanical, less electrical) vehicle that is easier and cheaper to work on, buy a DI, which is pre-1999.

Great! I just purchased a low mileage 2003 Disco HSE yesterday.
How can I search for the VIn to check if my Disco has been mitigated?
So far, I'm loving it. Can't wait to get it dirty.
Oh btw, there is a slight leak just right above the oil case (aove the drain hole). Where could this be originating from?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
I'm really worried about my 03 now. I just couldn't afford the 04.
Is there a way to fix the potential oil pump issue before it becomes a big (new engine) problem?

I'm kinda bummed now.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The deal with oil pump issue is this-If you have an 03 within the VIN range nothing is guaranteed to happen. Your pump could fail before 20k miles (not likely, but possible) or it could fail at 60k, or you could put half a million miles on the truck and never see a problem out of it. Most of the time if you're passed 80-100k you're pretty much in the clear, but still if my oil light ever came on while I was driving I'd kill the car immediately and drop a new one in. Unfortunately the only way to prevent it is to put in a new oil pump before it fails but you will never know when it's coming.

Again though, there is still a chance nothing will ever happen. There are quite a few people just on this forum that are within the range and never have seen a problem.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The engine block was manufactored wrong, the dowel pins that align the oil pump to the engine are out of wack and there fore they put extra strain on the oil pump thus wearing it out prematurely.
There is no way to tell for 100% if your truck has this problem or not, engines in the VIN# range are good, engines out of the VIN# range can be bad.
That is why as a general rule we just say stay away from the '03's.
The warning signs of a failing oil pump are the oil light coming on when the engine is hot and at idle, if you let it get bad enough the oil light will come on all the time, at this point it is pretty much to late.
IF your truck shows signs of a failing oil pump just buy a new oil pump.
A new oil pump and engine front cover installed by a shop are about $1500 last I heard.
That buys you another xx,xxx miles, so if the oil pump fails at 75,000 miles, replace it and you should get another 75,000 miles.
The problem is with the enigne block and the only 100% fix is a brand spankin new one.
Dont worry about it, just drive the truck and enjoy it.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah make sure you are aware of the head gasket problem, which is fairly common and get any car you are considering looked over by a Land Rover Dealership, they will be able to find EVERYTHING wrong with it lol, which can be used for negotiating. Owning a Discovery is a lot of fun, but you have to be interested in your car and willing to a do a lot of preventative maintanence. Good luck in your hunt!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
engines in the VIN# range are good, engines out of the VIN# range can be bad.
So, if I am IN the vin range, I am safe?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Mudding

No, he means that the VIN number check is not foolproff, there are some that fall within the range that never have an doil pump problem and some that are out of the range that have oil pump failure.

Quick Reply: Looking at Buying a Discovery...things to know?