Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a mid-90s Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 08:00 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking at buying a mid-90s Discovery

I just traded in my 97 Disco for an LR3. My kids and I loved the old Discovery. But it is noisy, gets about 13 mpg, and is expensive to maintain. However, I would still get the Discovery. First, the jump seats can actually seat adults if necessary (a lot of 3rd rows in SUV's can't). Second it is roomy from a headroom perspective. If anyone is claustrophobic, the headroom makes up for the tight rear seat legroom. The storage room is huge. I moved a lot of furniture in my car and you can get many items that are bulk or tall through that rear hatch.

I would look for one that has had one owner and good maintenance records.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Drifting

i have a 96 discovery and love it. they arent very good on gas and the maintence is a little bit expensive unless u know how to work on cars yourself or you have a competant mechanic who wont rip you off. My advice would be keep it serviced regularly and just general maintenance (greasing everything ect.), get manual windows and seats, they have given me the worst trouble and if i could switch mine out for old fashioned crank windows and manual seats, i would do it in a heartbeat, they are killin me haha. After driving my rover for the first week i realized i never want to drive anything else, and they are truly a great car.
Good luck,
anthony

Old 11-06-2006, 06:07 PM
4wd Low

If I were you or yoru parents I would go with the Discovery. I see they also considered the Grand cherokee. I use to have a 2001. Don't let them buy it. It's not worth the head achs. The grandcgerokee's are noisey inside from wind when cruising at 65 or greater. There are so many things that go wrong on the cherokees and so many recalls on that car. Fan will need to be replaced, all window regulatores including sunroof. Caliper recall if the service manager is in a good mood. Radiator, Tank Gasket. It's a MOPAR product so you have to go to the dealer to get it. Most importantly the Governor switch will go out under 70K miles. The ride isn't that smooth. The A/C doesn't cool off the back quickly. It shoots from the center console. I sold mine and am planning to buy a 99-01 SE7. You won't go wrong wth this vehicle. That is why the U.N uses them, the safari tours, and Saudi Arabia. Even though I am not using my vehicle to go off road I love the design and the space. Go for the land Rover you'll have nothing to loose over it.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Airwolf1

If I were you or yoru parents I would go with the Discovery. I see they also considered the Grand cherokee. I use to have a 2001. Don't let them buy it. It's not worth the head achs. The grandcgerokee's are noisey inside from wind when cruising at 65 or greater. There are so many things that go wrong on the cherokees and so many recalls on that car. Fan will need to be replaced, all window regulatores including sunroof. Caliper recall if the service manager is in a good mood. Radiator, Tank Gasket. It's a MOPAR product so you have to go to the dealer to get it. Most importantly the Governor switch will go out under 70K miles. The ride isn't that smooth. The A/C doesn't cool off the back quickly. It shoots from the center console. I sold mine and am planning to buy a 99-01 SE7. You won't go wrong wth this vehicle. That is why the U.N uses them, the safari tours, and Saudi Arabia. Even though I am not using my vehicle to go off road I love the design and the space. Go for the land Rover you'll have nothing to loose over it.
land rovers have their own basket of issues too... they need TLC every month...

Old 11-08-2006, 09:55 PM

i just bought a 96 disco se7 less than a week ago and i already love it. as far as service and maintainence bills go, parts arent too ridiculously priced as far as all of my research shows, so most of the cost in in the labor. (prestigious companies charge a lot for service, i can attest to this as a benz technician) if you know how to work on cars, the cost wont be too bad though.

as far as reliability, i have driven just about every companies products in my life, from american, to jap, to euro, and no one really makes a more reliable car than anyone else, they all have quircks and issues, and every one of them is a pain to work on. i say if your parents like the disco, they should go for it.