Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Disco. See many with over heating. Gasket or Tstat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Disco. See many with over heating. Gasket or Tstat?

I'm looking for a Disqko. I'd like a sound beater because I really want a sometime truck just for hunting, camping, skiing and exploring the out back of Oregon before the wackos lock up everything. Like I said a beater is good because when I'm done W/ it after bounceing off a tree or bolder or two (Bang! Crash! Whoe! Yahoo! That was fun; let's do it again!) it wouldn't bother me to take it to the scrap yard. I have found many trucks with the caviot (sp) engine runs hot; on long trips --- only going up hills--- on highways, ect. "it runs hot but doesn't boil over I had it examined by a mechanic and was told its just the thermostat, and brakes need to be done.....let me know if your interested in seeing it....it only overheats going up hill to btw." HHMMM, Head gasket? How prevelent (sp) (the person who invented the spelling corrector should have got a Novel Peach Prise) are bad head gaskets VS bad Thermostats? For $2K for at 1998, is a DIYS head gasket in order?

BTW, at this point, it's something like this or a Series IIA camofauged ExMOD RHD I'm eyeing.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Disco. See many with over heating. Gasket or Tstat?

If it is laeking out he heads, it needs gaskets, if not, could be a number of things. The others are less expensive, though. "only up hill" - radiator, fan clutch, belt / tensioner, water pump..... or just plain gaskets.

These will not boil over, they are a sealed system, and if something goes it is a pop. the caps are rated for 12 PSI, but on a 98, it probably wont go. It will bust a hose or the tank.

Head gaskets are easy on a mid 99 and under. They are the D1's ( lower tail lights). If you are handy, it doesn't sound too bad. Walk up with $1500 and use the other $500 fo a radiator and new hoses.

You do realize what an oxymoron you are asking for. If the outside is messed up, the inside is gonna be messed up too. The problems people see are when the maintenance is not done. If you get a beater, you have to make it sound. I doubt you will find a "sound " beater.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for Disco. See many with over heating. Gasket or Tstat?

I know it does sound like an oxymoron however I have seen several with a dent in the door or hood or broken rear window. Things that are cosmetic or superficial that would probably cost moreto have fixed than it's worth to the owner.And they are the types of dings I would expect todoto it on the trail. Last summer I had the camper on my Dakota with the tailgate down. Ibacked into a poll I did not seeand mangled the tailgate. It cost something like $800 to replace the gate and repaint. A brand new gate was only $175, the rest was painting to match and labor. If I did not have full coverage insurance or if the truck was 10-12 years old it might have been hammered out and left as it was. I had a incident where a woman left a nursery cart behind the rear wheel of my truck in the blind spot. I backed into it as she stood there ratchet jawing on her cell phone and it pivited around and left a little green paint from the cartand put a small scratch into the ofher bumper Accura. It should have been just buffed out but she took it to the dealer and it cost $750. I just immagine the sticker shock people get if they have a Land Rover and try to get some minor body work done! But if it does not affect the off road performace thats the truck for me. One mans off road expediton is another mans beater.