Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a Disco tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a Disco tonight

01 Disco IISD 107k miles for 5900 and the guy swears there's nothing wrong with it The price seems a little low to me, and it's at an auction lot so it's got me a little worried. What all should I look for besides the usual car buying stuff. Any common problems besides maybe an oil leak? I'm waiting for my buddy to get back to me with the Carfax...
BTW, great site here, lots of usefull info!

edit: Carfax came back.
52k colling system and brakes serviced
60k drive axle and engine serviced
64k suspension serviced
68k electrical serviced
74k tranny and engine serviced
Nothing reported after that. Looks like a rough 20k miles...

Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking at a Disco tonight

Well, make sure you don't perform your critique of the vehicle in the darkness or even under good lighting. Daytime is a must. Take it for a test drive and test EVERYTHING including electronics and low/high range. Take your time on this. Ask for a service history. Check your fluid levels and colors of them. Make sure it has a smooth idle and does not make any strange noises or moans at speeds greater then 70mph or at any speed. Ya, take it on the highway and for a good drive. While at idle look over then engine for any whines and such. It will be difficult to immediatly find problems with a rover. They typically surface after about the first thoudand miles. Which is usually an expensive break-in period. But is typical of most buyers. And of course verify if it's been wrecked. There is a lot of electronic components to test so take your time. Be sure your crawl underneath it with a good flashlight and take a good look at everything. Let us know how it goes and welcome to theforum.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

To bad the 90K wasn't done, those 30k, 60k and 90k's are important. I don't know if carfax reports those service intervals if they were done. Your gonna wanna hope they were. Also, most important, ask for extended or any sort of warranty information. At 107k its already time to service the tranny- past due... Be positive, but also realistic, there's alot of disco's in the sea. Best of luck and hope it works out for you.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Price is about right when you consider the mileaage and that fact you will shortly put some money into it as a service.
Mike

Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 AM
4th Gear

Well, dude said he was too busy last night, it will have to be tonight. That works though, gives me more time to research. Thanks for the help so far.
They typically surface after about the first thoudand miles. Which is usually an expensive break-in period. But is typical of most buyers.
What are some of these probelems you refer to?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Wizaugh

Well, dude said he was too busy last night, it will have to be tonight. That works though, gives me more time to research. Thanks for the help so far.
They typically surface after about the first thoudand miles. Which is usually an expensive break-in period. But is typical of most buyers.
What are some of these probelems you refer to?
It can be a pretty wide range. Based on your mileage I'd expect an initial heavy maintenance, such as all fluids being replaced, filters, plugs, wires, and eventually O2 sensors. It is really hard to say. Don't be intimidated though, I'm just mentioning what you'll want to do to it, not necessarily what will need to be done to it. You'll be fine. Let us know what you think of her and we'll all help you from there.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM
4th Gear

One more question, then I'll stop bugging you guys
Who made the 4 liter used in these? The dealer said he was told it was the Olds motor, but that doesnt seem right...

Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's an old Buick engine I believe.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: 98roverguy

Yup Rover makes it, but bought the design from 60's model rocket 8 Buick. The D2's, even the 4.6 is modeled after it.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

ORIGINAL: 98roverguy

Yup Rover makes it, but bought the design from 60's model rocket 8 Buick. The D2's, even the 4.6 is modeled after it.
I thought the 4.6 was the Ford motor from the Explorer/Stang?

Quick Reply: Looking at a Disco tonight