Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For New Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Looking For New Shocks

Hey guys, it's been awhile!
So right now I'm looking to get new shocks, and eventually new springs (cost is an issue). I'm running on stock shocks/springs right now and lately it's become very noticeable to the family as well as me. Any size pothole or bump that I hit is highly noticeable. I've read quite a few posts on here about different ones, but most people are looking for a lift and/or doing some off-roading.

I've seen the most popular shocks are OME, Terrafirma, Monroe, and Bilstein. I'm mainly looking for a smooth ride for on-road driving, my Rover doesn't see any off-roading anymore, unless you count 10 inches of snow off-roading

Opinions, recommendations?

Thanks for your input guys!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Stay with OME or Iron Man shocks, Monroe's are junk and the stock Bilstein but way too expensive

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I put on the Monroe sensa-tracs two weeks ago. They don't have enough damping for my liking as someone who will always opt for "sport package" on sedans, but are inexpensive and keep bigger body movements in check. On a tight budget they're sufficient - part # 37233 front and 37234 rear for a DII without ACE. You can get all 4 for about $150.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Stay with what has been tried and true for years on our Discos, most domestic shock can not handle the top heavy weight of our trucks and will fail.
Put good shocks on and be done with it.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree to go with OME they will hold up and have the history to prove it.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Do we recommend HD offroad shocks to everyone concerned with ride quality and road manners here?

Also, you may find OME shocks are manufactured by Monroe. So much for the ease of shopping by brand...

Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Discosomewhat
Also, you may find OME shocks are manufactured by Monroe. So much for the ease of shopping by brand...
Actually OME, Monroe, Rancho and a few others are all made by Tenneco. OME are built to specific set of specs for them to handle the uprated spring rates and top heavy nature of the D2. When dealing with this heavy *** truck a little stiffer damper is always nice in the control department.

Personally i opted for custom valved Fox's but they are more $ than most people are willing to spend.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ebg18t
Actually OME, Monroe, Rancho and a few others are all made by Tenneco.
Did you not click the link?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I went cheap and bought what I could afford almost 5 years ago now, $120 for a set of four Gabriel shocks from AutoZone.
Truck still handles and rides well, even with the ARB winch bumper and SD roof rack.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Administrator

A lot is based on the type of driving you do, many shocks will ride better if only street driving, if you start wheeling on forest roads you will want a better shock and full out wheeling will require the best you can buy.
Both OME and Iron Man shocks come with different ratings for the type of driving you do, so order accordingly.

Quick Reply: Looking For New Shocks