Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at Purchasing 2004 Discovery SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 10:51 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at Purchasing 2004 Discovery SE

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE7, 136k miles
Listed at $5,200

Looks to be in decent shape, going to see it in person later today. Seller states that boy and interior are in good condition with small tear in headliner.
Seller also states they have kept up maintenance and have done the following repairs:
- added bluetooth stereo and keyless start
- front main seal replaced
- oil pan gasket replaced
- new water and oil pump
- both front door window regulators and lock actuators replaced
- driver rear lock actuator replaced
- front right/left rear ABS sensors replaced
- top end rebuilt @ 95,000 miles @ Columbia Rovers in Portland, OR

Any suggestions when I go to look at vehicle appreciated. I'm interested in something to drive around in Oregon that will be decent in snow. Seems like decent price, especially with all the repairs that have already been done. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Things I wish I would have checked/recognized in hind sight:
1) Any leaks from the sunroofs or alpine windows (or anything else for that matter)?
2) Front driveshaft replaced?
3) Coolant system integrity. Any leaks, check by the throttle body.
4) Running temperature? Bring a scan gauge or ultra gauge if you have one, and if you don't buy one as you will want to have one on any LR you buy and watch the temperatures when you go out for a test drive, be sure you drive it long enough to get it up to temp.
5) Heated seats and windshield (if fitted).
6) Check to see if it shifts cleanly from 4H to 4L and see if it's easy to lock the center diff on a 2004.
7) Remote lock/unlock
8) Any log of fluid changes

I'm in Western WA, and I love mine, its a beast in the snow, on forest service roads, and just about anywhere else!

Old 03-02-2020, 02:20 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You do know that these are not Toyota's... Plan a budget of $2000 per year if you don't do all of your wrenching yourself. Things will happen and you will want to repair it correctly with the best possible parts at the most skilled honest shops... Not the dealer... Whenever you find something that cost $40k new for $5k used, you know there is a hidden cost. That cost is maintenance in the case of a Land Rover. There will be years you don't spend that much which will be followed by years you spend more. Unless of course you can do your own head gaskets, transfer case, etc.

Go in eyes wide open or don't go!!

Best of luck!!

Old 03-02-2020, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Whenever you find something that cost $40k new for $5k used, you know there is a hidden cost. That cost is maintenance in the case of a Land Rover. There will be years you don't spend that much which will be followed by years you spend more. Unless of course you can do your own head gaskets, transfer case, etc.
This is spot on. At this point, you'll have to replace most of the sensors, old parts that have not been touched. If it leaks, you'll have to take the headliner out, inspect, fix. Items like fuel injectors are likely to go out soon, if they are original. Then there are driveshafts, there misc. interior ghosts and electrical work. If you want to do things right, you'll pay for parts and time. If you don't wrench yourself, they you'll pay for labor. $2K with some wrenching on your part is about right.

Note, it is best to screw up and do things yourself than to let someone who does not know LR work on your car. That will be an expensive re-do.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

OK, so I should have added to my answer that it is worth keeping in mind the age and (not undeserved) reputation of these vehicles. I like mine a lot, but would never recommend it as a daily driver, for me, it's my hobby. I like to tinker and fix and toy around with this kind of stuff but when something goes wrong I know I don't have to rely on it to get to work in the morning so I can take my time with solving the problems and checking things off my maintenance list. However, all of that being said its relatively easy to work on compared to many other vehicles and the community is very supportive and a great resource.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

I have two with over 220k on them, have owned 12. I think the main thing to look for when buying is to check the frame for rust. Obviously make sure the check engine light comes on during the bulb check, is not on when running. If it is on check the codes for misfires. The only things that really get expensive are blown hg and worn out engine. SIngle cylinder misfire are indicative of one or the other. If there is an oreily aut parts near you then you can use the chemical hg test from them for free. You can check the oil pressure easily if you like, I bring a mechanical gauge with me. Don't worry too much about engine oil leaks, they are easily fixed. At that mileage as long as it is not ticking you probably don't need to. Price sounds ok for the mileage.

As the guys have indicated, unless she has had a lot of parts thrown at it there will need to be some replacements. Most all the cooling system plastic needs to be replaced if it has not already been done. The master cylinder will eventually start leaking if it has not be previously replaced, as will the power steering pump.

The following users liked this post:
OrRoverGuy (03-04-2020)