Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a SE7 help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a SE7 help needed

Hello all I am looking at a 2001 SE7 with 100k on it. I have been searching online for info about them. Pros, Cons, problems, etc.

I was hoping i can get some help here.

Major concern is that i do not really know much about land rovers and was wondering if they have problems in general. Also if problems start to occur after a certain mile marker, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Looking at a SE7 help needed

Things you will have to repair as a Land Rover Discovery owner:

Head gaskets
oil pan gasket
transfer case gasket
exhaust header gaskets
fuel pump
fuel filter
spark plug wires - i hear you should get the magnacor wires
spark plugs (every 30k mi)
diff plugs front and rear
throttle body gasket
cd changer/cd changer optical cable
all cup holders
ash tray and coin tray thingy's
engine -if you don't take care of it
also, change the oil every 3k miles even if you run synthetic. I've noticed that even with amsoil running in my '03, the oil doesn't really last much longer than 5k mi.
am I missing the kitchen sink??

All this will probably have to be done before 80k mi. I would make certain that you do all scheduled maintanence, and then do a little more if you plan on keeping the truck. I'll admit that I am no expert, but honestly this stuff isn't really that hard to replace, nor wouldIsay this is an indication of unreliability,except for me it would be hard to do the t-case since i can't jack up my truck. You will fall in love with the truck though, as I have, and will gladly fork out thousands over the years to keep it looking like the beautiful baby that it is.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Three Wheeling

My wife has exactly this vehicle, a 2001 SE7. She loves it. It's her second Discovery. She had a 1994 Series I. My 2 sons and I do the work on her SE7. It has 91K on it. Here's what we have found in the 6 yearssince she got it new. Some of it's the same as the previous poster.

Parts. We use almost all Land Rover parts.

Tires. The stock tires are noisy on the road. When they wore out, we found better ones that aren't factory approved but quieter.

Brakes. They have to replaced more frequently than I would have expected. In addition, unless you stay on top of them, new pads means new rotors too. The stock rotors can't be turned. So, even with DIY, your looking at $500 for parts for a brake job.

Air Springs. One of these went in the rear at 80K. We replaced them with Arnott at a much better price. Time will tell if the hold up but they're guaranteed for life.

Intake Manifold. Leaks of oil and coolant. Whistling sounds. Big job to replace all the gaskets but that's what it takes.

Regular Maintenance. Nothing special here. Generally an easy vehicle on regular maintenance . Oil (not synthetic) every 5K. Doesn't burn much like the Series I did.

Paint Job. Still looks new.

CupHolders. In thefront seatsthey suckbut at least not as bad as the Series I.

Jump Seats. Kids love them.

Mileage. OK on gas.

Stability. Much better than previous models with stability control.

Power. Not too bad. Wish it had a bit more because it's a heavy mother. Wish it had a stick like the Series I.

Average Annual Costs Over 6 Years. $1,024 excluding gas.

HTH.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM
4wd Low

I have a SE7 02 with 85k for sale,interested