Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for used 4.6 engine options

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Mudding
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default looking for used 4.6 engine options

After getting my D2 running perfectly something in the engine let go while going 75 on the interstate. No warning at all. Anyway it knocked the bottom out of the oil pan and took out a chuck of the block. I need some options for a used motor. hoping to stay under $1000. Ill be doing the swap myself. Ill replace the head gaskets and oil pump before the install as well. on a side note the lady behind me stopped and said it looked like something you see in a nascar race......smoke and flames coming out the back. I posted the carnage for your viewing pleasure......

Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Man sorry to see that, I am in the wrong part of NA to help with a used engine. I would like to know what let go though

Old 07-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Man sorry to see that, I am in the wrong part of NA to help with a used engine. I would like to know what let go though
Ill tear it down eventually and see.....I was seeing a slight misfire/running rough on #7 but nothing major and she ran very smooth of idle . Temp was 188 and no noise what so ever when it let go . Looks like it may have been piston 7 that did let go . Ill post it up when I know for sure what happened,.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

What a bummer! Glad you are OK.

Look for a 4.6 out of a Range Rover. That seems to be the way to go, and hopefully it would be non-SAI. Not that there is anything wrong with SAI, you just would not have to deal with it.

Not sure how difficult they are to find though. Check eBay and Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Also, make sure it is a Bosch motor. I just learned that RR's have GEMS as well, and had to return an alternator, but maybe all the 4.6's are Bosch, I don't know.

Last edited by CollieRover; 07-09-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:22 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

X2... Look for a 4.6 from a P38 Range Rover. You might even have to buy the whole P38 to get one but abused P38's are quite common around here on Craigslist for around your price range.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't forget that the P38 4.6 is GEMS and not Bosch, so while you can adapt the blocks, they are not perfectly identical. You would need to modify and adapt certain sensors to work on the GEMS block. I.E. Crank sensor

Old 07-09-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
Don't forget that the P38 4.6 is GEMS and not Bosch, so while you can adapt the blocks, they are not perfectly identical. You would need to modify and adapt certain sensors to work on the GEMS block. I.E. Crank sensor
Some are Bosch some are GEMS. I am no expert, but Best just educated me on this and it is why the 150 amp RR P38 Alternator will fit a D2.
But if the heads are the same I imagine a GEMS would work, you'd just not use any of the ancillaries or top end past lower intake manifold.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:02 PM

If you are resigned to doing the HG's get a short block, and re-use your cylinder heads. You'll be able to inspect the bearings, etc. As long as the engine is out maybe upgrade the Cams to Crower or Kent. That would mean new new tappets, but you'd likely do that with a short block anyway. While you are waiting for the short block check and prep the heads changing the valve stem seals. Or ABran sells refurbed for a good price if you want to avoid shop charges and the work yourself.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Dang bro, that really sucks. I have a 4.0 sitting in my parts truck but I am in Detroit. If you want to travel you can have it really cheap. I did the HG 2 years ago. It runs strong but it is not a 4.6. You would just have to pull it, I would help.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jdbayer
Dang bro, that really sucks. I have a 4.0 sitting in my parts truck but I am in Detroit. If you want to travel you can have it really cheap. I did the HG 2 years ago. It runs strong but it is not a 4.6. You would just have to pull it, I would help.
Thx for the offer but thats too far for me.....hopefully I can find a suitable replacement local.

Quick Reply: looking for used 4.6 engine options