Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I bought a cursed '03... yay.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I bought a cursed '03... yay.

Welp, apparently, I didn't do quite enough research here first. I bought a DII inside the cursed vin range.

Now, looking over the engine and transmission from beneath before we bought it, it was clear that whoever owned it before me (bought it from a lot) really cared for it beyond the de-greasing and detailing that the lot would have done. I think it's somewhat safe to assume this might have been addressed already. I searched on the forums but didn't find anything on this so here is my question: How can I tell whether or not a previous owner already fixed this?

Details:
Discovery II SE7 vin 3A805...
113k miles

Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Just because it's in the VIN range doesn't mean the motor is faulty, just that it's possible. I have an 03 in the death range with 136,000 miles. For you, at a 113,000 miles it is likely that your motor has been replaced or that your motor was not faulty to begin with.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with above poster. the '03 i just bought was in the range, but with 120,000 miles on it, i doubt i have much to worry about. it was either fixed already, or isn't going to be a problem. if it is a problem, i get a new motor!!!
jon

Old 10-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Mudding

Mine was not in the VIN range and I still ended up with a broken oil pump. So did some others with '04 Discovery. I lucked out because I was changing all the gaskets and seals and just happened to look at the oil pump and discovered that the outer ring was in 5 pieces.
Listen to the engine carefully and see if you can hear rattling in the front engine cover. Or even better.......do the oil pressure test. That will tell you everything.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by boris_gti
Mine was not in the VIN range and I still ended up with a broken oil pump. So did some others with '04 Discovery. I lucked out because I was changing all the gaskets and seals and just happened to look at the oil pump and discovered that the outer ring was in 5 pieces.
Listen to the engine carefully and see if you can hear rattling in the front engine cover. Or even better.......do the oil pressure test. That will tell you everything.
I agree with the others. Not only do a oil pressure test, but install an aftermarket oil psi gauge! That is cheap insurance on an engine! I have a glowshif I mean glow **** because it is off by 20 psi!!!!!!!!!!! WTF? When the car is off, I should have 0 psi, so the gauge should be at 0 not below 0. So its off. I am going to call and complain tomorrow.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It will show up in a Carfax or a dealer history if you have one run it. More likely than not if it went it would have done so under warranty and be replaced.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by atancreti
I agree with the others. Not only do a oil pressure test, but install an aftermarket oil psi gauge! That is cheap insurance on an engine! I have a glowshif I mean glow **** because it is off by 20 psi!!!!!!!!!!! WTF? When the car is off, I should have 0 psi, so the gauge should be at 0 not below 0. So its off. I am going to call and complain tomorrow.
Don't mean to get off the topic here....but I was thinking of getting those gauges for temp., oil pressure and volt. Are they really that bad??? This is the first time I hear someone complain....

Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Also have not seen many complaints on Glow shift, but there are other vendors, and Spike has posts on the "ultra gauge" but it does not read oil PSI.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Mudding

Again...hate to change the subject but what are the best a-pillar plastic frames to buy? I know that I need to modify it a bit but for 3 gauges, what is the best pod out there with minimal modification and good appearance?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by boris_gti
Don't mean to get off the topic here....but I was thinking of getting those gauges for temp., oil pressure and volt. Are they really that bad??? This is the first time I hear someone complain....
My oil temp one seems more exact. Glow shift has a nice sandwich adapter that I like, as far as gauges go, I would buy it from auto zone so if they are off you can take them back. I just set one on the right side, and one on the left side, of the steering wheel. Glow shift dose have pods for sale online. Some stack these gauges, some are triangle shaped. Ect...

Quick Reply: Looks like I bought a cursed '03... yay.