Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing coolant... where'd it go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by thatbaldguy
thankfully never even got to 3/4... just noticed it climbing above the normal just below halfway and shut her down. the oil looks good, not milky... will take a sniff of the tail in the morning, but haven't noticed any smells. picked it up for $2500 and figured I'd have to do some stuff, so I'm not super bummed... yet
Just keep in mind that if that temp needle ever moves up, coolant is at 240 degrees. Did some work on mine not too long ago and didn't tighten a radiator-hose clamp. It was dark and raining when I left for work next AM. Prob would have seen steam if it weren't for the rain but just happened to look at my computer and water temp was at 230 and the dash gauge hadn't even started moving yet. I would pull over for a look if it even got up to 200!

I wish somebody had come straight out and told me about this from the very beginning like I am with you, but I had to play with fire and figure it out the hard way.

Last edited by chubbs878; 07-18-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

but then it started to heat up (not overheat, because I'm paranoid like that and didn't let it) when I stopped, the small tube from the filler tank to just above the radiator hose had popped loose and was spewing all over... crap... head gasket... but a combustion gas check showed up negative...

filled up the reservoir, drove home (8 miles) with no heat up, but coolant low about half full mark when checked... so, what the heck? and go.
Was it a plastic pipe to radiator nipple with short section of hose or had PO replaced with coolant or fuel line?

You don't need to be paranoid just very vigilant in maintaining your cooling system.

As others said get a ScanGaugeII or UltraGauge to monitor temps/other parameters and to read/clear codes. Some just buy a OBDII dongle and monitor with phone. My ScanGaugeII has been very helpful.

Originally Posted by chubbs878
I wish somebody had come straight out and told me about this from the very beginning like I am with you, but I had to play with fire and figure it out the hard way.
Took me less than a week of owning my D2 that came with a known leak and reading hear to find info on monitoring temps/lousy factory gauge.

Suggest a new sticky for D2 section that specifically addresses this temp gauge issue and recommendations to immediately purchase a SG/UG/dongle to monitor.

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-12-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 02:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks guys... ordering an ultragauge mx 1.3 (one of the options I have to select is programming option... have selections for various gm, ford, honda etc... what do I select, or doesn't it matter?)

started it up and let it idle for about 15 mins. to look for obvious leaks. temp gauge never moved once it warmed up to mid gauge level... after about 8-9 mins this ticking sound started... went away when accelerator was pressed...

exhaust doesn't have any noticeable smell... no smoke. engine seems to idle just fine.

mr4x4 (08-12-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by number9

Suggest a new sticky for D2 section that specifically addresses this temp gauge issue and recommendations to immediately purchase a SG/UG/dongle to monitor.
I agree with that. Would be an excellent reference for new D2 owners. A regular temp sender on the upper hose and aux gauge on the dash is also a good option.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Pro Wrench

... after about 8-9 mins this ticking sound started... went away when accelerator was pressed...
If that video is of your D2 you may be up the Back River sans a paddle. That's a bit more than a ticking.

What oil type and weight in engine?

I was lucky as mine started the often observe D2 light ticking when at idle and op temp a week or so after purchase. Topped off oil with 20w-50 and took a drive down I-95. No tick since.

Last edited by number9; 07-20-2016 at 09:31 PM.
mr4x4 (08-12-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Just got it a few weeks ago and have been chasing a bad coil... first time I've run it for any length of time. no idea what the oil status is... oil and filter change is in order... Where in coastal georgia are you? you know about Tybee with the back river reference

Old 07-21-2016, 05:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Where in coastal georgia are you? you know about Tybee with the back river reference
Just down the road close to Fort McAllister and across the street from the Ogeechee.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Three Wheeling

pretty sure I found out where the coolant has been going... sprung a nice leak yesterday after a quick test drive (got my ultragauge so I can monitor temps) in the hose from the expansion tank to the top of the motor... pulled the a/c compressor out of the way to get at it and had a nice slit in the hose where it curves. grabbed the hose to pull it off and it crumbled in my hand...

new hose on, topped off coolant and quick test drive temps at 194-197.8 while moving, 199 at stop light. (original 190 degree thermostat... which will be replaced soon) ooolant was a little lower when I got back, but expected that since I blew a bunch out yesterday (expansion tank never went empty) topped off again and let it idle up to temp... coolant level looks steady... another quick test drive in the morning. fingers crossed.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

pretty sure I found out where the coolant has been going... sprung a nice leak yesterday after a quick test drive (got my ultragauge so I can monitor temps) in the hose from the expansion tank to the top of the motor... pulled the a/c compressor out of the way to get at it and had a nice slit in the hose where it curves. grabbed the hose to pull it off and it crumbled in my hand...

new hose on, topped off coolant and quick test drive temps at 194-197.8 while moving, 199 at stop light. (original 190 degree thermostat... which will be replaced soon) ooolant was a little lower when I got back, but expected that since I blew a bunch out yesterday (expansion tank never went empty) topped off again and let it idle up to temp... coolant level looks steady... another quick test drive in the morning. fingers crossed.
Looks like you have this repair nailed-down but you really need to go the extra mile or you will just have one hose or fitting fail after another. Believe it or not, if one hose is in this condition, the others will be comparable or well on their way. The plastic fittings on both upper and lower assemblies don't mind cracking into pieces, either. If you still have the red-style OAT coolant then you are especially at risk of corrosion and degradation in the cooling system.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling

another quick test drive this morning and the coolant level is staying stable... temp at 195-197 while driving, 199 at stop light. this hose was one that had been used to bypass the throttle plate heater (still wondering if that's an okay thing to do, since it never really gets too could here in Coastal Georgia) I will definitely be going over every inch of this thing, especially the cooling system. Green coolant. A longer test drive later this afternoon is in order. Got some other questions before that, but will start another thread.

Quick Reply: Losing coolant... where'd it go?