Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:21 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost fuel pressure

Hello,
I'm a new member to this site. My son-in-law's '97 Discovery quit on him over a week ago. I picked him up and did some cursory inspection and found no fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Got it home and poked around a bit. I have absolutely no info on the Discovery.
The fuel pump would not run. Even with 12 volts. Put in a new pump, still wouldn't run. Now what is this?
Found this site, a day or so later. Someone mentioned there are 2 fuel pump relays for the Discovery.
After tearing everything apart looking for even one relay, I found the one relay next to the fuse box in the engine compartment.
Turns out there are 3 little relays inside. One sends power to various places. One is not used for this Disco. One controls the voltage from the 15 amp fuel pump fuse and sends the 12 volts to the impact cut-off switch.
I learned this after cutting open the plastic box and mapping out the circuit. It isn't water proof any longer. I wasn't going to order this $150 part unless I was sure it was bad and could not be repaired.
I found plenty of relays under the steering wheel, none of which turned out to be a fuel pump relay.
I chased the wires from the tank across the frame. Checked a connector mentioned on this board on the drivers side near the rear wheel, no joy. Followed the wires until they disappear going up along the drivers side (left) roof. They very nicely disappear as they run somewhere into the front of the vehicle.
Unfortunately, the local dealer was not interested in my problem at all. They would sell me a part and good luck.
Anyway, with a little help from a local Rover shop, not the dealer, I found the trouble at the impact cut-off switch located on the firewall just right of center.
The connector pin was apparently loose and had been arcing for sometime. Finally got bad enough to cause intermittent and low voltage to the fuel pump. Easy to see, black and some melted plastic.
To prove things I cut-off the burned connector and connected the 2 wires. Bingo pump is running, Disco is running.
I would have found this the first hour or so if I had any info on this vehicle.
After visiting this site I wasted more time looking for a second relay.
The path to the fuel pump on this '97 Disovery is fuel pump fuse to pin 7 of the sealed box of relays next to the fuses. From pin 7 through ONE relay back out pin 4 and then to the impact switch. In and out the impact switch to a connector well hidden behind the fuse box under the steering wheel, then back to the back along the roof. Drops down to the compartment at the left rear, then out to the already mentioned connector on top of the frame by the left rear wheel and finally into the top of the fuel tank to the fuel pump.
Of course I'll replace the impact switch and connector ASAP, since this is an important safety feature.
Bottom line I found the Discovery to be built like a tank. Obviously well built for off road work.
My problem was finding information. No one locally had any Haynes or other manuals. The $130 manual could be worthwhile if it was my car.
I hope this info is useful to someone,
Happy motoring,
Discomech in New Mexico

Old 06-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: lost fuel pressure

Great information, glad you had the patience to chase it thru, Thanks alot.
By the way, make sure your son-in-law changes the fuel filter if it hasn't been done in the last 20,000 miles, they plug up and put one hell of a strain on the pump, fuse and relay, much less the engine performance. The filter is located on the frame inside the right rear wheel.
Mike

Old 06-24-2006, 07:44 AM
4th Gear

Disco Mike,
Thanks for the advice about the fuel filter. It is possible this is at the heart of the Impact switch connector heating up and failing. I can see where excess current to the fuel pump would cause the connector failure.
Thinking about it, I don't see this connector or any like it being rated for 15 amps. Any thoughts on this?
Realized today I could have been Discotech. That's probably already used. I'm more of a country dude anyway.
Thanks,
Discomech in N.M.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Winching

ORIGINAL: discomech

My problem was finding information. No one locally had any Haynes or other manuals. The $130 manual could be worthwhile if it was my car.
The black box you refer to is the multifunction unit relay, AKA; fuel pump relay +. Don't bother with a Factory manual, it's incorrect as well. Sounds like you got good free info from the local Indy? Hope they can stay in business doing so?