Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost key/key fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lost key/key fob

ok, first off i am a dumba@@ . i lost the portion of my key/key fob that actually goes into my ignition. the 'key' portion. dont ask. i dont wanna explain. it will just make me look even dumber. my question is what is the cheapest way to get it replaced? dealership? outside source? locksmith? HELP!
thanks
pilsner
01 disco II 123k and counting.
ft lewis WA

Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lost key/key fob

I've been wondering the same thing...I only have one key, and the key consistently "breaks off" from the fob if you don't turn the ignition just right.

I've assumed that I'll need to overpay at the dealership for a replacement, though...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Drifting

youll have to get a new key from dealer but you can remove the key fob and glue it back with some crazy glue, that might buy you some time

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Winching

its not that i broke my key (that happens all the time) but i broke it and then LOST the key portion. ive since found it when i went out and looked in the daylight. but anyway , i wondered what i can do , other than go to dealership and pay thru the nose , the next time im a dumba$$...
cuz im prolly gonna do it again. and i will for sure be a hundred miles up some mountain trail when it happens. just how my luck rolls...
thanks
pilsner

01 disco II
123k and counting.

by the way what is this sea foam flush that i keep reading about?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take the VIN # to the stealer and they can make you a new key.
Get a second one made as well and vip-tie it to the frame of the trk. The next time you loose it take your pocket knife and cut the zip tie and you are good to go.
As a long time trk driver that is what we do, zip-tie a spare key under the hood to the firewall.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Winching

do i even want to know how much the stealership is gonna charge for a key?
great idea though. how do i get to the firewall under the hood when the hood release is in the (locked) truck?

thanks
pilsner
01 disco II
123 k and counting...
ft lewis WA

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry, I need to clarifiy. I am a truck driver, not a "truck driver". Trucks dont have a hood release from inside the cab. Just a latch on each fender.
For our Disco I have a key, my wife has a key and then we have a key in the kitchen drawer.

When I had mi Infiniti they wanted $70 to cut and program a key, being Land Rover they probally want $7000.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Drifting

I have the same issue. I purchased a '99 Disco II and was only given a standard key without the fob. (What a pain to open the doors without that fob.) I called the local Stealership and they told me all in all it was going to cost me a cool $250.00+ (approx). They could sell me the fob for about $120.00, they will program it to work with my vehicle for $80.00 and then I would have to take it to a locksmith to have them cut it for me for another $50.00. At least that is what they told me when I called a few weeks ago. I am going there tomorrow to get the real scoop.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling

i just want to point out on thing. If you live in a high crime area, or any area for that matter (criminals will travel if the price is right) i would advise against it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling

wrong button. they zip tie on the frame i would advise against that one.

Quick Reply: lost key/key fob