Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Key (no replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Key (no replacement)

I lost my landrover keys and my dumb self did not make a spare key, so now im locked out. I can't drive my rover but have the FOB without the actual metal key, so i can access my rover only.

If anyone can provide me with helpful information i would greatly appreciate it.

I called landrover dealers already, they are all closed, they will give me a call back tomorrow Monday.

Can i order the actual key from the Dealer? What information would i need (ownership, insurace, VIN number etc.)?

Anyway i can put my car into neutral without the key? I dont think i can steer it since it will lock the steering wheel? Probably need a tow truck then???

THANKS

Old 06-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The dealer is your only hope. With your vinn number they can get the key code from Rover.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The dealer is your only hope. With your vinn number they can get the key code from Rover.
+1. If you were in the UK they would want you to visit the main dealership with all the car docs, identity docs and probably inside leg measurement as well and then they might, just might, help you and charge you a kings ransom for the priviledge. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts
Default Not so...

Dealer is not your only hope.

You can buy an ignition and matching door tumbler with a key.

I've got one if you want to go that route.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Drifting

A dealer in Denver gave me the key code over the phone with no verification of my identity or that I owned the car. There are only a few locksmiths left in the area that can cut from code but I did find a few. You may have the same luck calling the dealer. If your local dealer doesn't give it to you try the one in Denver.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Drifting

same thing happened to me. kid lost the key. only I live in Montana and there are no land rover dealerships here.I found one in Denver. I faxed them all my info with credit card number and they sent me a key. simple as that. it costs some coin though.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Your chances sound much more hopeful and promising in the US Quinn519.

I'd hate to lose keys in France.........................the blank sightless stare followed by the gallic shrug.................and......................... Non.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:45 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

In the meanwhile, you can always disconnect the electrical portion of the ignition switch from the mechanical portion.

When you remove the steering column shround you'll see it's the portion of the switch on the left end of the assembly with all the wiring coming off it. Picture #1 is of the complete assembly as you will see it in your truck attached to the steering column.

There are two very small (eyeglass size) screws that hold the electrical section of the switch to the main body of the assembly. Picture #2 shows the end you will be removing and one of the small screws facing you. The other with be on the exact opposite side.

With the screws removed, the round black portion will detach. This is the final picture #3 (actually of the part from a Range Rover Classic as it's what I had at my desk). With that done, you can insert a screw driver into the detent you can see, turn and the truck will start just like it would with a key.

Attached Thumbnails Lost Key (no replacement)-img_7260.jpg   Lost Key (no replacement)-img_7261.jpg   Lost Key (no replacement)-img_7262.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Paul,

Thank-you this is great information to have

Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Helping people to steal Rovers since 1993!!!

Quick Reply: Lost Key (no replacement)