Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost spark on 95/96 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lost spark on 95/96 Disco

I am new to this forum and I am seeking some help with my Land Rover. I have a 95 Disco that I acquired quite cheap since it was missing the 3.9 motor. No problem, I have a 96 Disco that was wrecked. I pulled the 4.0 motor and trans out of the 96 and stuck it in the 95. Transferred the wiring harness and necessary components to make it tick.
After tying in all of the electrical components and necessary harness, I was able to get the motor to fire on starting fluid. However I couldn't get the fuel pump to cycle on.
I traced the wiring and found that I had current, for the fuel pump, going into the multi-functional relay. Unfortuantely no current was coming out of the relay to the inertia switch. I jumped across the relay and immediately the fuel pump began to cycle.
Natuarally I decided to start the motor. After cranking for a few seconds it almost started running, but then it stopped firing. I then pulled the spark plugs and found they had fuel on them. Next I checked for spark and found that all eight cylinders were not getting spark.

I am at a stand still now and need advice/help in how to troubleshoot this anyfarther.
I double checked wiring and fuses.
What now? anybody have any suggestions or ideas? or run into something similar before?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you also switch the ECU?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 PM
8th Gear

yes i switched the ECU and multi-functional relay on initial conversion

Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

did you swap the flywheel?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
8th Gear

I pulled motor and tranny as a whole out of the 96, didn't see a need to swap flywheels. Motor cranks fine, just not getting any juice to the plugs.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So you had fire, and now you don't... Go back through the fuses and see what you popped when you jumped the fuel pump relay.

Did you swap the alarm ECU when you did the change over? You are going to have to find the dis able input for the ECU to make sure your ecu has the right signal to fire. Then the relay output for the fuel pump.

Hard to diagnose electrical without being there.... But if it fired, you had spark at one time.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

does you check engine light go out when youre cranking, or does it stay illuminated the entire time??

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
8th Gear

When cranking the motor the service engine light stays continuous for 3-4 seconds and then it goes off.
Can you tell anything from that? Is there some ignition code tied to that?

I appreciate any and all help that I receive on this.
Thank you!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 PM
8th Gear

No I didn't mess with any of the alarm equipment. Number one didn't factor that into the equation and number two have know idea where it would be located or even how to effectively move it.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If the alarm were the problem the engine wouldn't even crank. The immobilizer cuts power to the starter so I don't think the alarm is your issue. Check all your engine related fuses both under the hood and under the dash. I agree that you have may blown a fuse when you jumped the fuel pump relay.

Quick Reply: Lost spark on 95/96 Disco