Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost and worried - clicking/ticking noise underneath engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurotrash
чем что-чау
Chow? or Ciao?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Problem

Did you find out what the problem was -- I have a 2003 Disco II and it is doing the same exact thing?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by richardframe
Did you find out what the problem was -- I have a 2003 Disco II and it is doing the same exact thing?
Do a search on the forum on "bad oil pump"
And have your oil pressure tested.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 PM
4wd Low

I'm having this problem with my 04 disco right now. What was the verdict on the problem? I just flushed my oil system and put fresh 10/30 in my truck has 200K on it. I get the same noise after 10-20 min of driving. Sounds worse under load but runs great.

Originally Posted by mupmanyu
Hi:

I just bought a 2004 Disco, SE, with 62000 miles. The 60k service has not been done, and it is my plan to take care of this soon. I do have the option of returning this car, so I am not investing into it unless the noise issue has been resolved.

Its been two weeks, and the engine has a noise that was assured by the seller to be normal rover noise. However, after doing an oil change/flush and then talking to a mechanic (who may not be that familiar with discos), it appears to be a serious issue - possibly rod knock, or bent push rod (words of the mechanic).

Let me describe the noise in detail first:

i) It never comes up on cold start.

ii) It comes on only once the the engine gets hot (15-20 minutes idle, or driving it around for a 50-10 minutes).

iii) It is definitely coming from the bottom of the engine. I crawled underneath, and it seems to be coming between the catalytic converters, just around the oil pan area.

iv) It sound like ticking noise. Louder than a tick, more like a click. A noise close to this would be the noise you get when you start your car on a dead battery - that clicking noise. The mechanic has rule out exhaust leaks.

v) The frequency of the click increases with RPM to say 1500-2000, and then after that goes away. It could be getting drowned out as well, I am not sure. But if I lower my windows while driving at high speed, I cannot hear it. However, if I stop at a light, I can hear it.

I have new oil, and done an ATF flush. The noise persists.

vi) I have not checked oil pressure yet, or dropped the oil pan. Actually, I don't know what dropping the pan means.

vii) We really like the car, but I am having the seller's mechanic take a closer look at the noise, and then take it from there.

Any thoughts of what this noise could be? Could these be the symptoms of plugged oil tube, or oil pump? Its a 2004 disco which apparently don't have these problems (compared to 2003).

Please help!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds to me like your oil is getting to thin after it gets hot.
Switch to either a 10w-40 or a 15w-40 and see if it keeps doing it.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Wow

Прекрасный форум о хака для игры worldofwarcraft. Куча полезной инфы here

Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling

I really wouldn't worry too much. As was said above, if you've got issues with a con-rod or bearing it's most likely not going to become totally inaudable. A push rod is also totally unlikely with hydraulic followers and an auto-box, not impossible i guess, but pretty close. There are far more little things it could be than big ones. Its really tough to truly pinpoint a sound without scoping every inch of the engine. It's really amazing the way sound travels given the acoustics of an engine bay and how far from the actual source your ear can point you. It could just be a lifter or could still be an exhaust leak.

Get a scope or a cut off broom handle and start trying to define the source of the noise. Also give the purge valve a listen - with the stick right on it. It can give the exact symptoms you're describing and the sound can bounce right down the firewall. If you want to check again for exhaust leaks do a seafoam induction cleaning then start looking for the smoke. Even the smallest leaks will show up. Also check your oil level, lifters can get noisy when the oil's low.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 PM
JAC
Three Wheeling

My '04 engine crapped the bed and after it was rebuilt it almost immediately started losing coolant. My great mechanic (Wally at Loudoun Rover in Chantilly, VA) stood by his work and did a gratis engine swap and I ended up with a rebuilt engine from a 2002 Range Rover.

Anyway, this new to me engine has the same thing described in this thread. Sounds like normal from a cold start but the clicking starts once the engine gets warm. It has 5w40 motor oil right now--i'm about 300 miles into the oil change.

It sounds like there is probably not much to worry about, but I'd like to try to fix the noise if possible...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Mudding

Have you checked the torque converter bolts that hold it to the ring gear plate???

Old 02-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JAC
My '04 engine crapped the bed and after it was rebuilt it almost immediately started losing coolant. My great mechanic (Wally at Loudoun Rover in Chantilly, VA) stood by his work and did a gratis engine swap and I ended up with a rebuilt engine from a 2002 Range Rover.

Anyway, this new to me engine has the same thing described in this thread. Sounds like normal from a cold start but the clicking starts once the engine gets warm. It has 5w40 motor oil right now--i'm about 300 miles into the oil change.

It sounds like there is probably not much to worry about, but I'd like to try to fix the noise if possible...
Hah I stop by there a lot - I think I saw your rig? Good luck. I'm curious what they changed in the pumps between the earlier years and the later DIIs?!

Quick Reply: Lost and worried - clicking/ticking noise underneath engine