Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Engine Noise when accelerating! And Shocks issue!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Engine Noise when accelerating! And Shocks issue!

Recently replaced the Split Y-pipe - At idle it sounds great. Even when I accelerate without the car being in motion it sounds really good, however when I accelerate when the car is in motion it sounds horrible and loud...it sounds alot like a ruptured exhaust pipe, but the noise is coming from the engine and not the exhaust pipe - what could it be? The CEL is on also....

Now I have question concerning my shocks.....

Every time I go over a bump or pothole it feels like the car is going crumble or the whole car shakes from the effect of going over the pothole.

Have another question concerning a wheezing noise coming from the driver's side wheel as the car is in motion. I hear it as I pass parked cars or as I drive alongside a street divider (very annoying and noisy).

Any suggestions or pointers would be a great help!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't put the collector gaskets in properly (or at all) or have not torqued the collector side of the y-pipe down properly.

It's close, but under load (highest exhaust pressure) is it leaking. The CEL is likely related to the exhaust leak.

So is the "wheezing" noise.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Overlanding

What is the proper way to do it? I had MIDAS put it in. If I was to look at - how would I know whether its done properly or not?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Adsan1280
What is the proper way to do it? I had MIDAS put it in. If I was to look at - how would I know whether its done properly or not?
If you had work done and it wasn't done properly, you need to bring it back.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Overlanding

DarylJ

Thanks a lot for your advise on the CAT installation. I brought it back, and they noticed a leak due to it not being properly installed/leveled. They fixed it, but not without an attitude even it was their inability to correctly do the job.

Moving on there is still a loud noise on the engine as I press on the gas - of course not as loud but loud enough that I can hear it as I pass by parked cars or wall/street dividers. I scanned my truck with an OBD scanner and got a P0441 code which is Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow. Is there any connection between the this code and the loud engine noise during acceleration?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Winching

Is there any connection between the this code and the loud engine noise during acceleration?
Doubtful.

And if it's still making noise, it's probably still not done properly. Sounds like it's better now, but still not correct. Unless you have another unrelated exhaust leak.

I haven't had to deal with troubleshooting an 0441 code, but from the bit I just googled it seems several people have replaced the purge valve (which is what that code indicates) only to have the code come back. I don't want to send you down the wrong path, so hopefully someone who has some more experience with that particular issue can chime in.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Overlanding

the noise does not seem to be coming from the CAT area but from the hood when I accelerate...otherwise the engine is pretty quiet.

I'm going to have the P0441 Code checked today and have them take a look at the exhaust manifolds as well...perhaps there is a loose bolt or pipe somewhere under the hood that may be causing the loud noise at acceleration.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Winching

the noise does not seem to be coming from the CAT area but from the hood when I accelerate.
The front of the Y pipe connects to the manifolds, under the hood. There is supposed to be a gasket between the two, and you should be able to see some of the sides of it (it is silver/black) sticking out.

I'm pointing you there because of the history you've laid out with this thing being incorrectly installed from the beginning.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Overlanding

Yea there is exactly where I feel the leak may be - I'm going to have a look at it later today....thanks for your input.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion would be to bring it back to a different Midas location, explain the situation its a nationwide chain, and they wouldn't want their reputation to go down the drain. If it was something the first location was supposed to do and didn't, hopefully the other shop should find & fix the problem

Quick Reply: Loud Engine Noise when accelerating! And Shocks issue!