Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Roaring and Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default thats the best...

Originally Posted by Bundu
The loud roaring on start up is the lion waking up from its sleep, that's normal. Actually its the secondary air injection pump you hear, this only runs on cold start up for a few minutes. If it's really loud then the pump could be faulty.
The whining noise could be your serp belt slipping, check your serp belt for wear and tension.

"The loud roaring on start up is the lion waking up from its sleep"...

That is the funniest thing i have heard in a long time....outstanding bundu!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:57 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bundu . . . you are correct, it's coming from the SIA.

Another one for you . . . are you familiar with the vehicle vibrating at around 75 mph. The previous owner had it checked out by Land Rover and said it was fine, but it doesn't seem normal to me.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vibrations are an indication that something is wrong - its never normal.
First question: have you rebuilt your front drive shaft? Vibrations from 50mph onwards normally come from a drive shaft going bad.
If only at higher speeds then check your wheel balance, if the steering wheel shakes then its your front wheels, otherwise rear wheels.
Do you have non-D2 rims on your truck?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 AM
4wd High

I have the original D2 rims on it. When I bought it, I had new tires put on along with a 4 wheel alignment. The steering wheel does not shake and I don't believe the front drive shaft has ever been rebuilt.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

Well start by checking the u-joints and center ball joint on the drive shaft, they fail and explode your tranny. Signs of failure are vibration, chirping and a load boom. It's good preventative maintenance to haul it out and replace the u-joints and ball joint, look in the "Write ups" and "How To" section for details on rebuilding your drive shaft.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

Look at this thread if you seek motivation:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ighlight=siked

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkistner

Also, when I turn on the AC, there is a loud whining noise only during acceleration. When I turn the AC off, I do not hear any whining at all.

Another one for you . . . are you familiar with the vehicle vibrating at around 75 mph. The previous owner had it checked out by Land Rover and said it was fine, but it doesn't seem normal to me.

Thanks for all your help!
When my a/c is on, there's a loud whining noise also during accel (I think my disco sounds more like a dump-truck lol). It's definately the viscous fan on mine. I'm pretty sure that the fan is engaged at full-power when the a/c is on.

As for your vibration at 75 mph, mine also does the SAME thing lol. The dealer told me that "It's normal". I haven't really investigated far into it, I'm rollin' on the original front drive-shaft, so i'm assuming that's what it is, since I have newer tires that have been freshly aligned.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

The a/c compressor places extra load on the serp belt only when a/c is on and the a/c clutch has kicked in, otherwise the a/c pulley rotates free. Your serp belt slips if your serp belt tension is too loose and the a/c compressor is engaged, that is when you hear the squeal, especially when you punch the gas. The same happens if you get water splashed on the pulleys from a puddle or rain.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Winching

STOP driving the vehicle until you can positively confirm that the driveshaft has been rebuilt and that it is not about to go. As mentioned above when they fail on the DII they take out the tranny and that is big bucks.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 AM
4wd High

Turns out the vibration was coming from a bad tire even though they are brand new. Two different garages used a run-on lift and agreed that was the problem. Everything else checked out on the truck.