Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud window "pop"

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default loud window "pop"

So a week or so I was driving to my brothers house and as I put my window down I heard a loud pop! I thought someone shot at me (I literally got out and checked for bullet holes) then started checking the door window for chips as I thought maybe a rock hit it or something. I did not see anything and said OK that was strange but went about my day. Today I put my window down and it did it again but this time I noticed it actually came from the glass and the window kind of twitched as it was going down (kind of like it got caught on something). I played with it a few more times and found it does it sometimes when the window goes down automatically if I slowly tap the switch about 4 or 5 times to get it half way down it works fine. just wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this and could suggest where to look when I pull the door panel off?

Thanks guys

Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: loud window "pop"

I have had the startling pop also , twice before . But it was when i put the window all the way up. It turned out to be a regulator. Had both of them changed under warranty, lets hope that over with because my warranty is dead

Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your problem is in the window lift mechanizim.
A roller going bad perhaps. The regulator binding maybe.
http://www.jewellamberoil.com/sales/...roducts_id=185

Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AHHHH the terrific sound of the death of a regulator.

good news is that they are relatively cheap (under $200) and they are relatively easy to swap out.

my first one took me an hour and fifteen.

when mine went a buddy was in the passenger seat and he rolled the window down and when he rolled it up i thought the tranny has S^&* the bed or something.

i would not attempt to mess with the up and down of the window. i did and it turned the regulator into a pretzel within the door and made it much harder to get out. if you can, until the new regulator arrives tape the window up to the door frame or if the window is stuck down then plastic bag it.

fear not, this is no big deal.

the new rule in my rover is that "IF YOU DO NOT NEED THE WINDOW DOWN, THE SUNROOF OPEN, THE HEAT, THE A/C, THE LIGHTS,,,THEN THEY DONT GET USED"

Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on mine. I understand your shock when you first heard it. It really sounds awful. Anyway, when it first started happening on my disco, I pulled the door panel and saw that the window regulator was bent. I thought straightened it out would fix it and it did for about 2 attempts to roll it down. After that, back to the same ole obnoxious popping sound. Needless to say, I had to spring for a new regulator and everything is fine now. This place has some fairly good prices (less than $100 for aftermarket): http://www.roverconnection.com/

Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

the new rule in my rover is that "IF YOU DO NOT NEED THE WINDOW DOWN, THE SUNROOF OPEN, THE HEAT, THE A/C, THE LIGHTS,,,THEN THEY DONT GET USED"
I never open my sunroofs, messes up my hair.
I dont use the drivethru, I dont eat fast food, coffee sucks and my paychecks are small enough I can cash them at 7-11.
I LOVE A/C. I wont be caught outside without it.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

That pop is being caused because your roller wheel is broken allowing the "peg" that secures it to fall into an opening on the track it slides on. Fix that by either purchasing the roller wheel Spike555 linked or do what I did to save a few bucks. i didnt know bout the roller wheel Spike555 linked to until today. I had to fab my own fix....

http://picasaweb.google.com/jycsalas...torFixerUpper#